Fire sprinklers and ceiling fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky76

I'm looking fo a code reference on how close a ceiling fan or fixture can be retrofitted to an existing fire srprinkler head. As far as i know, the NEC does deal w/ this at all.

daleuger

I ran into this same situation last year and it started a little debate between the GC and the fire marshall. I don't have an NFPA in front of me but if I remember correctly it turned out to be 4 feet.

GUNNING

A sprinkler covers an area irregardless of whether its a fan or a turbo fan blade on a 737. Its a fire supresion device. The closer to the fan the better, unless there is wobble, then look out.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
. . . I ran into this same situation last year and it started a little debate between the GC and the fire marshall. I don't have an NFPA in front of me but if I remember correctly it turned out to be 4 feet.
4 feet from the center or blade end?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
You need to look at NFPA 13. It does not directly address fixtures or fans, it addresses obstructions. They are many tables for the type of obstruction and head involved. Good luck.:roll:

sparky76

Don't have a copy of NFPA 13 handy. I've never run into this problem. I'm pretty sure that the NEC doesnt deakl w/ it. anyone have a quick reference to NFPA 13?

Status
Not open for further replies.