Fire stop for boxes conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember being told that a j boxes within 5 feet of a fire wall that have conduits coming from it going through the fire wall, had to have fire stop 'INSIDE in the conduit at the box. Also of course around the pentrations of the conduit through the fire wall.

where is the code article for the boxes that within 5ft of the fire wall that requires the fire stop inside the pipe?

Thanks,

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
firewall code is in international building code (IBC) and international residential code. IRC 302.6 Fire-Separation walls.

fire penetrations are not in the NEC, because it requires fire marshal or AHJ inspection

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I remember being told that a j boxes within 5 feet of a fire wall that have conduits coming from it going through the fire wall, had to have fire stop 'INSIDE in the conduit at the box. Also of course around the pentrations of the conduit through the fire wall.

where is the code article for the boxes that within 5ft of the fire wall that requires the fire stop inside the pipe?

Thanks,
I've never heard of such a requirement and we have never put anything inside of a box regardless of it's proximity to a fire wall. Do you also have to seal conduits coming into a panel if the conduit is less than 5'?

LRR

Occupation
Inspector
You need to look in IBC that is Where putty pads and/or stud cavity separation is required. Also the size of the box. NOTE AN ELECTRICAL PANEL GENERALLY CANNOT BE LOCATED IN A RATED WALL DUE TO THE SIZE, it would have to be surface mounted. I will try to locate the section and cut and paste it here later.

Status
Not open for further replies.