Fireman at the Big Box store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian john

but under no circumstances in any case would I CHARGE anyone to do ANYTHING but Electrical work
and auto mechanics, (which I was trained for as well) which i avoid like a plague

We are not discussing this (at least not me) I am talking about HO's doing their own work permitted inspected

I have two good friends who are licensed plumbers, and when I need them, I call them. AND i PAY them even though they say i don't have to.

YOU BROKE THE LAW NO business license? no permit? If your friends are not in the business LICENSED, INSURED you are as guilty as some poor fireman confronted by a nosy electrician.

people are in their trades because they need to make a living!
and when I need a CABINET MAN for my remodel, I WILL HIRE ONE
when i need a PLUMBER, I WILL HIRE ONE
however,

I enjoy cabinet making have done this for years, are you suggesting outlawing hobbies. POOR Dewalt will lose millions from home hobbyist.
But when he replaces that ceiling mounted light fixture with a CEILING FAN, and the outlet box is a PLASTIC NAIL-ON BOX and he just cruises on and hangs his fan, - happy as **** because he saved the $150 dollars i would charge him to purchase and install the proper mounting hardware and hang the fan - Ill be real happy when the fan falls while its running on high and whacks him on the head sending him to the hospital.

And LICENSED electricians do hack work also, you can't legislate against stupidity and hackers.

BUT in many cases the law is on the HOs side, so DUH.

Oh and you wife is stealing from local landscapers by your logic.

Last edited:

Rick Christopherson

A simple mechanical apptitude test !! I had to pass an extremely difficult Masters exam before I could pull a permit. I had to have thousands of hour of on the job experience and several years of class room study before I could even take that test!! I'm not sure demonstrating competence with a wrench and screw driver should be considered a qualification to pull permits and if it is, why are all these states making the proffesionals get certified?? :-?
This is a little off topic, and I am sure it won't be earning me any "kudos points", but you did take a poke at me in your next posting. (I am saying this tongue-in-cheek, but it is nevertheless true.)

I don't know about other parts of the country, but around here, any electrical engineer can walk into the county courthouse, take a simple exam, plop down a small fee, and walk out a half hour later as a Master Electrician.

The same said electrical engineer may not know which end of a screwdriver to hold, but he is nevertheless legally qualified to hold one. :D

tonyou812

Should auto parts stores sell brakes and front end parts to weekend mechanics?

If we think electrical installations should be off limits to a mechanically able person, then doing your own brake repair should be off limits as well, it would definitely put allot of people in jeopardy on the roads if done wrong.

I do think the electrical work done by HO's should be permitted and inspected though.

Roger
I'm glad to see someone else in here that makes good sense. And that's my contention as well. There's guys in here that preach on the pulpit of safety but they are really looking out for their own self interest. There are people in here that work on their own cars, homes, "GUNS", and the list goes on. But if you were to call some of them out on it they would pretty much tell you what a smoker would tell you. "Mind your own business,..... I know what I'm doing"

I personally dont give advice to people in stores if they ask me for it. I just say something like " Don't you think you should hire an electrician or something?" But only if they ask.
You know, a few years ago my water heater went bad so instead of paying a plumber 800 dollars in labor to replace it, I did it myself. And had it inspected. And guess what.......?....it passes first shot. I Guess that's one of the benefits of being mechanically inclined and a homeowner at the same time. But just dont ask me if I would ever attempt to do my own taxes or represent myself in court.
Some of us know and understand our limits while others live in blissful cluelessness

I mean lets face it guys you really dont need a degree in electrical engineering to hang a light or even do some simple add ons. I dont see a problem with people doing their own work as long as they do it properly and have it inspected. what more can you ask?

Oh and by the way my water heater is working perfectly to this day. And its not sitting on directly on the ground as it is installed to the new plumbing codes.

Last edited:

iaov

This is a little off topic, and I am sure it won't be earning me any "kudos points", but you did take a poke at me in your next posting. (I am saying this tongue-in-cheek, but it is nevertheless true.)

I don't know about other parts of the country, but around here, any electrical engineer can walk into the county courthouse, take a simple exam, plop down a small fee, and walk out a half hour later as a Master Electrician.

The same said electrical engineer may not know which end of a screwdriver to hold, but he is nevertheless legally qualified to hold one. :D
And what state is this where this is allowed?? I live in Wisconsin. My Brother in Law has a degree in electrical engineering from UW Milwaukee. He had to take the same test I did . He has failed it three different times. He's a very smart guy. The test is brutal. I'm guessing he might like to visit your state and take the "simple masters test".

tonyou812

You know I just cracked myself up. I bet more than half of the folks in here are all for the second amendment. The right to bear arms. And on the same hand they preach about how they and we need to save the world from the perils of DIY electrical installs.

Yea, Yea I know guns dont kill people, people kill people but I bet the kid in Germany would have had a hard time killing without his dads pistol, or the schmucks from Columbine for that matter.

Anyway just wanted to share that with all you "electrical policemen"

Last edited:

izak

arkansas is ONE state that will allow an electrical engineer to take a masters license with one year in the field

I dont agree with it but, natural selection will weed them out. If they cannot make it in the field, then they will be forced back behind the desk

BRIAN JOHN: As I stated, my plumber friends are LICENSED. If you cannot read, then i have no time for you.

They are ALSO business men.
That means that they ......Own Businesses..... State Licensed... uhm.... Bonded... Insured...
all the things that you listed and more.

the point I was making was that MY trade is a LICENSED trade in THIS state, and AS SUCH, I will PROTECT IT.

Cabinet makers, landscapers, carpenters, roofers, and Mexicans with lawnmowers are NOT LICENSED TRADES in this State.

izak

this is not a forum for discussion of the second amendment (which has nothing to do with private citizens owning firearms in this modern day) (BTW I do own guns)

jrannis

I'm glad to see someone else in here that makes good sense. And that's my contention as well. There's guys in here that preach on the pulpit of safety but they are really looking out for their own self interest. There are people in here that work on their own cars, homes, "GUNS", and the list goes on. But if you were to call some of them out on it they would pretty much tell you what a smoker would tell you. "Mind your own business,..... I know what I'm doing"

I personally dont give advice to people in stores if they ask me for it. I just say something like " Don't you think you should hire an electrician or something?" But only if they ask.
You know, a few years ago my water heater went bad so instead of paying a plumber 800 dollars in labor to replace it, I did it myself. And had it inspected. And guess what.......?....it passes first shot. I Guess that's one of the benefits of being mechanically inclined and a homeowner at the same time. But just dont ask me if I would ever attempt to do my own taxes or represent myself in court.
Some of us know and understand our limits while others live in blissful cluelessness

I mean lets face it guys you really dont need a degree in electrical engineering to hang a light or even do some simple add ons. I dont see a problem with people doing their own work as long as they do it properly and have it inspected. what more can you ask?

Oh and by the way my water heater is working perfectly to this day. And its not sitting on directly on the ground as it is installed to the new plumbing codes.

Hey Tony,
Why cant you guys in Jersey pump your own gas? Whats up with that?

brian john

BRIAN JOHN: As I stated, my plumber friends are LICENSED. If you cannot read, then i have no time for you.

Sensitive about the little things aren't you...Trying to have a civil discussion here regarding a few rights that are LEGIT in many areas.

Fact remains you are trying to protect you job, and if you feel that way you have NO RIGHTS doing anything in your house that can be subbed out.

Our trade is no different that any other in that regard. DUH

jrannis

You know I just cracked myself up. I bet more than half of the folks in here are all for the second amendment. The right to bear arms. And on the same hand they preach about how they and we need to save the world from the perils of DIY electrical installs.

Yea, Yea I know guns dont kill people, people kill people but I bet the kid in Germany would have had a hard time killing without his dads pistol, or the schmucks from Columbine for that matter.

Anyway just wanted to share that with all you "electrical policemen"

The last time they rounded up all of the guns in Germany, things didnt work out so well:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.