Firemans switch for inground pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adagys

I have an outdoor sub panel fed with (4) number ten wires. I need to hook up a 240 pump and heater outside for an inground pool. The pool company told me I need a "firemans switch" in the timer and I do not understand what this is. I found a timer with a "fireman switch" but it just looks like a switch that would kill the power when the timer shuts off????

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think what they want is a switch that turns the heater off before the pump.

Try this

156T4042A.jpg

adagys

That is it exactly, but what I don't understand is how it works? The way it is mounted in the timer the "firemans switch" would trip off the when the timer trips off. Am i missing something??

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
That is it exactly, but what I don't understand is how it works? The way it is mounted in the timer the "firemans switch" would trip off the when the timer trips off. Am i missing something??
I assume the switch needs to get wired into a pool controller located somewhere near this equipment.

Buck Parrish

A furnace is similar in operation.

Fireman's switch kit for T100 series timer mechanisms. Screws into the mechanism and triggers a microswitch which turns off 10-15 minutes before the timer turns off the pump circuit.

adagys

When I meter the microswitch, it reads the same as the load side of the timer mechanism. So when the timer trips off the microswitch opens at the same time. What am I missing? Where is the delay?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Intermatic makes a digital timer with a built in fireman's switch. I am not sure how the mechanical one would work. It would appear the timer shuts the heater and the microswitch has a built in delay to shut the motor off 20 minutes later.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I don't know what the timer looks like, but I would assume that there may be an alternate mounting hole for the microswitch, that would put it slightly before the regular switch on the timer for the pump so it would trip before. But then it would also turn the heater on before the pump unless it's interlocked with the pump contact. Though if it has a flow switch, this should lock it out until the pump runs.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hillbilly's description is correct. The Intermatic breaker panels usually come with 2 time clocks (1 for the pool motor and 1 for the heater). The time clock for the heater has that micro-switch mounted in such a way that it will drop out about 5 minutes before the heater. Basically what it does is turn off the gas solenoid so the heating unit can cool down. The wires on the micro-switch are connected by t-stat wire to 2 designated wires inside the heater unit (BTW, those wires cannot be run inside line voltage the whip for the heater).

badabing

(BTW, those wires cannot be run inside line voltage the whip for the heater).
Why not? We usually just ran 16awg thhn, with the 12awg thhn to make it simpler instead of another pipe/flex run or tywraping it to the outside of the other flex? Also, inside the heater you usually have to cut the 'firemans' wire to connect to it, It's usually a bent over Red wire with a Tag on it. We also used to get the timeclock with the firemans switch alread installed, the ones where you install it typically seemd a bit more flimsy.

stickboy1375

I do these installs all the time, I use a intermatic timer with firemans switch, the microswitch turns off 15-20 minutes before the pump timer does, allows the heater time to cool off, used all the time in gas heaters, must have something to do with the heat exchanger in the unit, but very simple setup.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
No one has answered the OP question on how it is suppose to wire. Stickboy, what does the microswitch wire to and how does the delay get activated. The op's switch just clicks off and on with no delay. Is there a timing mechanism that the switch hooks to other than the clock?

dcspector

No one has answered the OP question on how it is suppose to wire. Stickboy, what does the microswitch wire to and how does the delay get activated. The op's switch just clicks off and on with no delay. Is there a timing mechanism that the switch hooks to other than the clock?

Dennis educate me. What is this Firemans Switch? I do not do pools except for a few hi rise roof units. Is this anything like an EPO?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis educate me. What is this Firemans Switch? I do not do pools except for a few hi rise roof units. Is this anything like an EPO?

There is a picture of one in the beginning posts. Looks like a small microswitch that you see in an overflow tray of a furnace (that has a float on it, this does not) On / off as far as I can tell. Never used one for pools.

dcspector

There is a picture of one in the beginning posts. Looks like a small microswitch that you see in an overflow tray of a furnace (that has a float on it, this does not) On / off as far as I can tell. Never used one for pools.

Yeah I saw that but is it a requirement? I understand hi water overflow ahu shut down for condensate, but I did not see this in 680, unless I have missed something.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Yeah I saw that but is it a requirement? I understand hi water overflow ahu shut down for condensate, but I did not see this in 680, unless I have missed something.
It is not a requirement but it seems some pool installers use it as extra protection for the heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.