Firemans switch for inground pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Why not? We usually just ran 16awg thhn, with the 12awg thhn to make it simpler instead of another pipe/flex run or tywraping it to the outside of the other flex? Also, inside the heater you usually have to cut the 'firemans' wire to connect to it, It's usually a bent over Red wire with a Tag on it. We also used to get the timeclock with the firemans switch alread installed, the ones where you install it typically seemd a bit more flimsy.
I suppose you can try doing that if you wish. Inspectors here will fail you. Something about mixing line and low voltage in the same whip. But, if they allow that in your area more power to you.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No one has answered the OP question on how it is suppose to wire. Stickboy, what does the microswitch wire to and how does the delay get activated. The op's switch just clicks off and on with no delay. Is there a timing mechanism that the switch hooks to other than the clock?
I thought Hillbilly and I did but to further clarify, the firemen's micro-switch attaches to one of the Intermatic timers in an area that activates it about 10 minutes before the actual timer shuts off. This is usually factory installed but I suppose it can also be installed in the field.

Some of the newer heater units that I've seen lately do not use a separate time clock to turn them on and off. They have their own controls built in with digital displays. If you use a time clock to shut them off you'll lose the time setting and any programming you've installed. If this is the case you just use a separate 2-pole, 20 amp breaker for the unit.

This is the link to the Intermatic timer with the heater protection (fireman's switch) installed

http://www.intermatic.com/~/media/files/intermatic/catalog/pages/131.ashx

This is the breaker panel that I typically use for pool installations. It has (2) time clocks built into it where one has the fireman's switch installed.

http://www.poolandspacontrols.com/p...switch mechanisms with heater protection.aspx

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I suppose you can try doing that if you wish. Inspectors here will fail you. Something about mixing line and low voltage in the same whip. But, if they allow that in your area more power to you.

Why is that a problem. I thought if the insulation rating of the conductors was equal to the maximum cir. voltage of any conductor in the raceway then it would be okay to run low voltage with the high voltage. I believe there are some exceptions.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

adagys

Could you please tell me what model or equipment you use to install these pumps. I am looking for the best way to hook up the pump and heater at 240v with a timer.

cadpoint

Could you please tell me what model or equipment you use to install these pumps. I am looking for the best way to hook up the pump and heater at 240v with a timer.

See thread #23 the links are both intermatic sites.. and they have charts on the the "pool" site based on Voltage and Gallons in the pool ... :)

stickboy1375

No one has answered the OP question on how it is suppose to wire. Stickboy, what does the microswitch wire to and how does the delay get activated. The op's switch just clicks off and on with no delay. Is there a timing mechanism that the switch hooks to other than the clock?

The microswitch gets wired to a set of contacts in the heater itself, i've always had to cut a red wire in the heater and now it gets sent through the microswitch, so this turns into a control circuit, when that microswitch opens, it turns the gas off on the heater, allowing it ample time for the heat exchanger to cool off. Its really simple, this is all in the heaters wiring/installation diagrams.

I'll take some pics of a pool I just did tomorrow.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Now that makes sense with 2 time clocks. I am trying to make sense of one mechanical clock and the microswitch and it didn't make sense.
Dennis, if you look at the photo of the Intermatic breaker panel (model # T32404R) in this link http://www.intermatic.com/~/media/fi...pages/131.ashx you'll see the two time clocks installed. If you look carefully at the time clock on the upper left side, on the bottom right side of that time clock you'll see the micro-switch installed (can't see the pig-tails though). If you have an older type heater (one that doesn't have a digital display and it's own electronic control) you'll need to connect the solenoid control circuit of the heater to those micro-switch pig-tails. A cam under the face of that time clock will activate the micro-switch about 10-15 minutes before that time clock switches off the heater. In this case the pool motor would be connected to the second time clock.

If you have one of the newer heater units with electronic controls that unit will need to be powered at all times. In this case you'll only have to run the micro-switch control circuit to the solenoid and use that same time clock to turn off the pool motor. Hope this clears things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.