Fittings and seals

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonH&H

Hi everyone-
I’m working with type TC-ER cable in an industrial facility. My panel is in a Class 1 Div 2 location. The owner would like to see ridged conduit leaving the cable tray and going into the panel. I’m reading 501.15 (D) 1 and I want to make sure I’m getting this right. Can I put a capped elbow out of my box, then a seal and pipe down to my tray? Thank you

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I personally think you are using the wrong termination method and citing the wrong Section as the appropriate method for sealing multiconductor cables in Class I, Division 2; however, that capped elbow would move it 501.15(D)(1) - and that will be a bear to terminate properly. That said, to answer the basic question. "Can I put a capped elbow out of my box, then a seal and pipe down to my tray?" - YES, IF you seal at the enclosure properly AND support/secure the TC-ER properly per Section 336.10.(7).

I would personally recommend a type TMCX sealing fitting.[Sections 501.15(E)(1) and(2)] Of course, you would still need to support/secure the TC-ER properly.

AKElectrician

Hi everyone-
I’m working with type TC-ER cable in an industrial facility. My panel is in a Class 1 Div 2 location. The owner would like to see ridged conduit leaving the cable tray and going into the panel. I’m reading 501.15 (D) 1 and I want to make sure I’m getting this right. Can I put a capped elbow out of my box, then a seal and pipe down to my tray? Thank you

I would personally suggest that you use pipe so you don't have to redo it... Id save the seal and some work use a GUAL or GUAB with a pour able lid sized approprialty, not sure on if the wires are broke out in your box but if it were me I would open the cable in the GUA boot the cable at the cable tray end of the GUA and the box end have just wires separated and packed properly then pour the whole dang thang (then nobody can say the gas will follow down the cable passed the seal) and don't forget to bond the conduit to the cable tray.... don't know what it looks like or anything just a idea.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I would personally suggest that you use pipe so you don't have to redo it... Id save the seal and some work use a GUAL or GUAB with a pour able lid sized approprialty, not sure on if the wires are broke out in your box but if it were me I would open the cable in the GUA boot the cable at the cable tray end of the GUA and the box end have just wires separated and packed properly then pour the whole dang thang (then nobody can say the gas will follow down the cable passed the seal) and don't forget to bond the conduit to the cable tray.... don't know what it looks like or anything just a idea.
Depending on the jurisdiction, the "free" single-conductors would need to be identified as suitable for installation in a raceway. Even then, I believe it would be far more cumbersome and expensive than the simple seal/capped-elbow described in the OP.

BTW, knowing the conductors in all Type TC constructions are 90oC rated, I do believe the installation you described would be suitable [Section 500.8(A)] - just unnecessarily expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.