fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.

stev11

hi

when we need to add air vent OR drain fittings to ex proof electrical panel(enclosure)???is this depends on the enclosure size???
is this depends on location classification???C1D1 or C1D2???

thank you.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
hi

when we need to add air vent OR drain fittings to ex proof electrical panel(enclosure)???is this depends on the enclosure size???
is this depends on location classification???C1D1 or C1D2???

thank you.
The NEC uses vague phrasing in its requirements, usually "where there is a probability that liquid or other condensed vapor may accumulate" or similar. AFAIK, there is no requirement based on enclosure size, and no differentiation between D1 or D2.

stev11

The NEC uses vague phrasing in its requirements, usually "where there is a probability that liquid or other condensed vapor may accumulate" or similar. AFAIK, there is no requirement based on enclosure size, and no differentiation between D1 or D2.

thank you, but what about air vent???

Smart $

Esteemed Member
thank you, but what about air vent???
Vents are not required at all that I'm aware of... but typical fittings serve to both/either drain and/or vent, depending on where you mount them and the function they are performing at any one instance, as they are typically not designed to drain and vent concurrently, although the simple screen type may... but IIRC they are not rated C1D1.

stev11

Vents are not required at all that I'm aware of... but typical fittings serve to both/either drain and/or vent, depending on where you mount them and the function they are performing at any one instance, as they are typically not designed to drain and vent concurrently, although the simple screen type may... but IIRC they are not rated C1D1.

ok, I have C1D1 air vent but why there is ex proof air vents???

Smart $

Esteemed Member
ok, I have C1D1 air vent but why there is ex proof air vents???
To tell the truth, I'm not really certain. Perhaps because drains may not function very well if there isn't any way to bring in air to replace the volume of drained liquid... yet I have to wonder how that amount of liquid got in there to begin with if the enclosure is that airtight...???

Status
Not open for further replies.