Fixture replacement Labor Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

I am Looking for a labor unit to replace a existing 6 lamp fluorescent fixture with a LED Fixture. Complete fixture replacement.
-Fixtures are chain hung, Planning on using existing whip and connector, Will need to work from a lift, 31 foot mounting height.
-Need to account for unpacking, changing out fixture, Removing old lamps and putting lamps into container, Stripping of old fixture to separate recyclable parts. Clean up and anything else I have not thought of.
Thank You

Buck Parrish

Two guys, five to 7 minutes for each light if the floor is clean. The first few will take a bit longer until you get a system down. Hauling recycle material,
and disposal of the old ballast ,
depends on how far you have to go with it. Also method of carrying it such as big tub type bins with wheels. Plus morning and afternoon paid breaks.

JFletcher

How many fixtures are we talking about here? Are you having them delivered to the job site, or delivering them yourself? Are you taking all of the scrap metal to the recycle yard? Have completely unobstructed access or you going to have to wait for somebody in the warehouse to move a bunch of stuff out of your way at least once or twice? Can you dispose of or recycle the cardboard boxes locally i e at the site? Are the new light being mounted at the same height as the old?

All of what you mentioned, I mentioned, and probably several other things are going to determine how fast you can do a fixture. At the low end, figuring you have to do everything that you and I mentioned, and the lights are not changing height, nor counting any new lights requiring new electrical that maybe asked for, I would figure 40 man minutes per fixture.

5 to 7 minutes in my opinion is only counting removal of the old fixture and installation of the new, with everything already out of boxes, staged, and ready to go, and being able to leave all of your trash in place, or requiring them to dispose of all old fixtures.

Scrapping and recycling all of various components of the fixtures will run you in the red even if you could pay someone minimum wage to do it., i.e., you will pay out more in labor than what you will recover at the scrap yard.

If you luck out and find out the existing fluorescent tubes are Philips Alto bulbs, know that you can chuck those right in a dumpster even in California no recycling required

Last edited:

arnettda

How many fixtures are we talking about here? Are you having them delivered to the job site, or delivering them yourself? Are you taking all of the scrap metal to the recycle yard? Have completely unobstructed access or you going to have to wait for somebody in the warehouse to move a bunch of stuff out of your way at least once or twice? Can you dispose of or recycle the cardboard boxes locally i e at the site? Are the new light being mounted at the same height as the old?

All of what you mentioned, I mentioned, and probably several other things are going to determine how fast you can do a fixture. At the low end, figuring you have to do everything that you and I mentioned, and the lights are not changing height, nor counting any new lights requiring new electrical that maybe asked for, I would figure 40 man minutes per fixture.

5 to 7 minutes in my opinion is only counting removal of the old fixture and installation of the new, with everything already out of boxes, staged, and ready to go, and being able to leave all of your trash in place, or requiring them to dispose of all old fixtures.

Scrapping and recycling all of various components of the fixtures will run you in the red even if you could pay someone minimum wage to do it., i.e., you will pay out more in labor than what you will recover at the scrap yard.

If you luck out and find out the existing fluorescent tubes are Philips Alto bulbs, know that you can chuck those right in a dumpster even in California no recycling required

4 different gyms in 4 different buildings, 76 fixtures is the most in one down to 24 in two others. Everything is wide open, fixtures delivered to job site, should be able to use pallet jack to get them into gym. Lift can driver between doors to get into gym. New lights are a one for one replacement and at the same height Maybe I will just scrap the complete fixture.

JFletcher

With that information known I would say it will go appreciably faster. Getting a rhythm down and having everybody working is really the key thing in my opinion.

If you have a long trailer, and everyone doesn't mind cleaning up, that many fixtures worth of scrap steel might at least buy everyone a half decent dinner. Removing the copper wouldn't be worth the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.