Fixture Tails

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Fixture tails have edged towards obsolescence with the introduction of 90? C conductors in MC cable. Back in the old days when AC cable had 60? C conductors you needed a tail with higher temperature conductors when using ballasted fixtures. If the job spec is for EMT you won't be jumping MC cable between fixtures.

mstrlucky74

It is almost the only way it is done in this area, there is no code reason not to.

Sorry Iwire.....So your saying if you have say (10) 2x4's you can run the mc directly into the fixtures(daisy chain)? So essentially no need for j-boxes.......in this case? Thanks.

mstrlucky74

I've seen a ton of specs that only allow MC no longer than 6'...which means the only use for MC would be for fixture whips.
Which means you have to drop whips from J-boxes.
Which means there has to be a ton of access panels in sheetrock ceilings which are ugly and expensive. And always a fight on who furnishes them.
I have sat in meetings with Architects and Engineers arguing my case to allow us to daisy chain above sheetrock ceilings. When I direct their
attention to the access panels over the conference room table, I tell them..."this is what you are telling me you want"....
Daisy chain wins every time.

Every j-box has to be accessible correct? So if your above a sheetrock ceiling you want to limit the use of j-boxes, correct?

mstrlucky74

Fixture tails have edged towards obsolescence with the introduction of 90? C conductors in MC cable. Back in the old days when AC cable had 60? C conductors you needed a tail with higher temperature conductors when using ballasted fixtures. If the job spec is for EMT you won't be jumping MC cable between fixtures.

It's code to have 90 degree wire for fixture tails??

btharmy

Sorry Iwire.....So your saying if you have say (10) 2x4's you can run the mc directly into the fixtures(daisy chain)? So essentially no need for j-boxes.......in this case? Thanks.

Yes. That is correct. The cables between lights are required to be supported within 6ft of the fixture. Access the connections by removing the ballast cover from below.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Yes. That is correct. The cables between lights are required to be supported within 6ft of the fixture. Access the connections by removing the ballast cover from below.
You have to be careful to make sure that's possible, though. A couple of years ago we spec'd some really nice looking fixtures for an upscale commercial install. The lighting rep and manufacturer assured us that this fixture was great for hard-lid ceiling applications.

Well...

Once the fixtures were delivered to the site, somebody started looking closely at them and discovered that you can only access the ballast from above! They ended up having to cut an access panel next to every light fixture. And that lighting rep and manufacturer went on our black list.

Status
Not open for further replies.