Fixture without box behind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoandrys

Occupation
electrician
I found several vanity fixture without box on the wall, when I ask to about it, the answers was that is not mandatory in electrical code. So that statement filled me with doubts, I have tried to search the code, but did not find an exact answer, please, any reference that you can give me?

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I found several vanity fixture without box on the wall, when I ask to about it, the answers was that is not mandatory in electrical code. So that statement filled me with doubts, I have tried to search the code, but did not find an exact answer, please, any reference that you can give me?
The answer that it not mandatory isn't exactly correct. There are vanity fixtures, as well as other light fixtures that are allowed to wire directly into the fixture. It has a KO and you attach a box connector and the fixture meets the requirements of an enclosure and you make up the connections inside the fixture, but you have to have the cable connector installed. Consider the 4ft flourecent fixture, no box just the cable connectors.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Thinking of all the wall and ceiling mount fixtures I've seen where the fixture wires extend well past any box, I have wondered how important those boxes are.
The domed part of the fixture is listed as an extension of the box that adds to the ci of the box. To put one of those on without the box is a violation.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
The domed part of the fixture is listed as an extension of the box that adds to the ci of the box. To put one of those on without the box is a violation.
Yes, I realize that. Now look at that 12" fixture that overlaps the required box by 4" on all sides. See those fixture wires that run out to the lamp holders? Is there a box behind them? Anything besides sheetrock?

KDough

Occupation
Electrician 42 yrs / Electrical Inspector 4yrs
Depending on what type of fixture we are talking about it may or may not be Ok to not have a box. After all a fixture , like a surface mounted garage type fixture is just a large j-box with some LED's. However if you are talking about a canopy type fixture where the canopy is duel purpose, 10 to support the fixture and 2) to cover the J-box. Then you defiantly need a box to make your splices. In the case above that ptonsparky mentions , I think if you look at 314.25(B) give guidance on what should be done in that situation.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes, I realize that. Now look at that 12" fixture that overlaps the required box by 4" on all sides. See those fixture wires that run out to the lamp holders? Is there a box behind them? Anything besides sheetrock?
I wondered about that too as to how it's acceptable. The wires are pressed up against the ceiling by the insulation on the back of the fixture.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I look at it like this. If there is a 7/8" KO to accept a NM/MC/ flex/ conduit connector then more than likely it's good without a box.
If it doesn't then it probably isn't.
It's abused so much by Handy men & Electricians.

Poweranytime

FL EC
Occupation
Master EC
We find coach lights on fronts of garages all the time without boxes usually added by handyman. But have found it on new house connected to an afci . When we opened water poured out and neutral was crushed.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I’ve seen that on wooden ceilings too.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I love removing a receptacle where there is wood paneling and there is no box. The receptacle is screwed to the paneling....

Poweranytime

FL EC
Occupation
Master EC
Found this similar situation at my grandparents house in the panhandle. National builder. Front door outside gfci outlet. Screwed to osb with no box. Then by way of bell extender ring out to a light post in uf buried at sod depth. Only reason I messed with it trugreen punched through the uf aerating the soil

kwired

Electron manager
Sheetrock, plaster, tile, etc. is at least non combustible, what if you are on a combustible finish was something that always came to my mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.