FL lamp recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a search and found this discussed in 2008, so thought it was OK to discuss again. I am an electrical contractor, but I've been doing some lighting maintenance to keep busy. The dead lamps are piling up.:mad: Was wondering what others in this area are doing and what the regulations are for record keeping, etc?:confused: I wanted to post here before calling the waste, and regulating authorities. Thanks in advance for any reply's, I value other electrician opinions.

JES2727

I use DCS:
http://www.labpack.net/index.php

I don't know if they serve your area but I'm sure you can find someone who does. I wait until I have a large amount then I load up the van and take the lamps to their nearest facility, which is not too far from me. If it's a big retrofit job they'll send a truck.
I include a "universal waste disposal fee" in my invoices to customers.
Sometimes my county will run a "hazardous waste disposal day". When they do that I can get rid of all the lamps & ballasts for free.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I haven't dealt with that recently. I think I'm right in saying the green tip tubes can be thrown in the trash, others are hazmat.

Our city dump used to have a section where they took tubes a certain day of week. I always had to call, it was always a different day. I started saving bundles & taking them there, 30 to 50 or so. The last time, they told me they weren't supposed to take from contractors, homeowners only. I explained most of these were from HO's, so what was the difference. He finally took them but gave me a # of a place in VA I'd have to use in future. The dump would still take ballasts, & I kept taking them there.

My boss sold out & next guy I worked for had the customers deal with the issue. We wouldn't take them. I'm sure a lot wound up in the trash, broken into paper bags.

What little I do now with flscts is I dump green tips & have customer take others to dump. I still take the ballasts & take to dump when I'm out that way. Electronic ballasts, I dump in customer's trash can. They are not hazmat. I can't deal with tubes to carry around & store til dump trips. I tried that & they all wound up getting broken.

rt66electric

sell the ballast

sell the ballast

I take my ballast to the steel/metal recyclers along with my copper. They do not pay much, but, every little bit helps.

Thanks for taking time to reply all. I've been on the web researching this to. Seems to vary state to state with regulations. I'll be calling FL EPA and local waste authority after the weekend, to try and be compliant. I will post what I find out then.

ohmhead

Recycling in china

Recycling in china

81f0f07f.jpg

Thats how they do it in other places in our great world .

Status
Not open for further replies.