FLA vs input watts

cppoly

Looking at an exhaust fan cut sheet.

It has FLA 4.1 amps.

Then input watts at 164.

This makes no sense.

Wouldn't input watts be 115 x 4.1 = 472?

cppoly

A motor with 50% efficiency and 70% power factor would put FLA at about 4.1A.

Thanks.

I think I'm having a hard time with their "input" watts.

Input watts should be on the line side of the motor, which should be FLA x Voltage = 115 x 4.1 = 472 watts

Shouldn't the "Input watts" that they're referring to as 164 really be the "output" watts. Output takes into account efficiency and power factor, right?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks.

I think I'm having a hard time with their "input" watts.

Input watts should be on the line side of the motor, which should be FLA x Voltage = 115 x 4.1 = 472 watts

Shouldn't the "Input watts" that they're referring to as 164 really be the "output" watts. Output takes into account efficiency and power factor, right?
0.22 HP x 726 = 162 watts

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
The motor current will be affected by both efficiency and power factor.
For a fixed output HP, sure. But when the motor current increases due to decreasing efficiency, that increases input watts. When the motor current increases due to decreasing power factor, that doesn't change input watts.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Just to clarify, am I correct about the input watts being wrong in my original post? It should be output watts, correct?
If 0.22 HP is the correct output HP, then post #9 shows the output watts is ~160 watts. Is this motor plausibly near 100% electrically efficient?

If so, then 164W could be the input watts, and the power factor at this operating point would be 164/472 = 0.35. If not, then 164 input watts is a typo of one sort or another.

Cheers, Wayne

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Chances are they plotted the fan curve against the system resistance to come up with CFM static pressure and motor hP. The motor is probably oversized for the load it is driving