Flexible Cable CID2 Location

JovialBulge

Occupation
Programmer

Device is UL listed as explosion proof for CID2 and requires 24VDC @ 250mA to operate. I assume I can install this device within a CID2 location based on this information and referencing this section of the code.
500.7(A) Explosionproof equipment
500.7(F) Nonincendive circuit
I must use flexible wiring to this device based on its location within the overall machine so I assume that has to be done in accordance with the hazardous location. Which brings me here in the code.
501.10(A)(1)
501.10(B)(2)(1)-(7)
Specifically 501.10(B)(6)Flexible cord listed for extra-hard usage and terminated with listed fittings. A conductor for use as an equipment grounding conductor shall be included in the flexible cord.
501.140(A)(2)

I then meander to Article 400 and more specifically Table 400.4 to determine which cables are considered to be "extra-hard" usage.

So long as the cord is correct for the location based on the referenced table above (400.4) and it’s terminated at both ends correctly; one side will be into the device itself which has a female NPT port and then into UL listed type 4 or 4X enclosure. Is there anything else that I need to consider with this installation?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
  • Section 501.10(B)(3) if you intend to install a nonicendive circuit. Section 501.10(B)(4) if you don't.
  • 501.15(E) & its various Subsections and cross references.

JovialBulge

Occupation
Programmer
  • Section 501.10(B)(3) if you intend to install a nonicendive circuit. Section 501.10(B)(4) if you don't.
  • 501.15(E) & its various Subsections and cross references.
Thank you for this information. I believe I must consider this circuit to be nonincendive since the cable needs to be quite flexible in this application. It will reside within a plastic, drag chain, e-chain, cable carrier, many industry names for the same thing. Additionally this cable will be in a separate cable carrier than the other cables within the machine which will be coming from intrinsically safe barriers, so there will be a physical separation of those different types of circuits.