Flexible cord fitting for class 1 division 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
My application is 501.140.A.3., NEC 2005

I am looking for a "suitable seal" required by 501.140.B.5 that is removable. I have found a Cooper CGBS combo seal fitting/cord fitting but would prefer something removable that doesn't require sealing compound. Something more like the combo strain releif/ compression grommet/ threaded follower gland that connects the cable to the pump casing. Cable size is about 1 inch OD.

Can anyone identify something like this?

Thanks

Last edited:
manufacturer (Wemco - Hidrostall) uses a combo strain relief, threaded compression follower gland, and grommet cord seal. Cord terminations inside casing are potted in epoxy. The epoxy potting is the part that makes the assembly hard to replicate at conduit entry and probably contributes to the classification rating. Check out the Cooper / Crouse-Hinds CGBS, good to 1 1/8 " OD.

Wemco - Hidrostal uses a combination strain relief, threaded 2 peice follower gland, elastomer compression grommet cord seal. Cable terminations epoxy potted inside pump casing. The epoxy potting probably contributes to the classification rating and is difficult to replicate at the counduit or box entry. Check out the Cooper / Crouse-Hinds CGBS, good to 1-1/8" DO.

The manufacturers rep I was talking to suprisingly wasn't familiar with approveable methods to bring the cord into the conduit system in the C1D1 area. One of his collegues used standard conduit seal offs. I have seen engineering details which use standard conduit seal offs also. This was our fall back position. The CGBS is better but it is sealed also. Our objective is to provide an easy way for maintenance staff to disconnect the cord and remove the pump and cord for maintenance without entering the wet well. Cable seals, splice box, and conduit seal off's are in a vault next to the wet well, which is also a classified location. All wiring methods on the wet well side of the seal off's need to be listed for use in the area classification so that includes the cable fittings.

Status
Not open for further replies.