flexible metal conduit in critical branch circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are installing outlets for our patient computer system. One in each patient and exam room. They are required to be on a critical circuit, I can make the argument that it is for direct patient care to justify it. However I stated that the conductors must be in conduit until at which point they can use a six foot whip into the wall down to the device.
My question is can HFC/AC cable be used for circuits served by critical branch. Is there a limit as to the length of the run in the use of the hospital grade MC cable. They are running exposed across drop ceilings instead of conduit some runs are 25’ long.
Is there a code that keeps lighting circuits separate for power circuits in patient care areas. They have been tying into circuits for the exam lights and overhead lighting. I have always kept these separate.

Thank you
Michael

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
We are installing outlets for our patient computer system. One in each patient and exam room. They are required to be on a critical circuit, I can make the argument that it is for direct patient care to justify it. However I stated that the conductors must be in conduit until at which point they can use a six foot whip into the wall down to the device.

My question is can HFC/AC cable be used for circuits served by critical branch.
Yes as long as the circuits meet one of the conditions of 517.30(C)(3)and this is not on Isolated Power.

Is there a limit as to the length of the run in the use of the hospital grade MC cable.
No, as long as the specific use of the flexible wiring is allowed.

They are running exposed across drop ceilings instead of conduit some runs are 25’ long.
Not allowed, any flexible wiring has to meet the conditions allowed by 517.30(C)(3).

Is there a code that keeps lighting circuits separate for power circuits in patient care areas. They have been tying into circuits for the exam lights and overhead lighting. I have always kept these separate.
There is no absolute prohibition of combining this circuit with lighting but IMO it's not good design for patient care areas.

Thank you
Michael

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.