Flickering Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomer

I have an old light fixture with 4-75 watt bulbs in it. It is feed with 2-wire open wire. Two dimmers switches have been installed.
On full the lights work fine, on low after a few minutes the lights flicker with both dimmer switches.
Thanks for any help.

ron

I bet it was one dimmer, then the OP tried another dimmer.
Is it constant flicker?
Often if it is constant and fast, it is the quality of the bulb filaments, so try a hard usage 130V bulb (lamp)

boomer

Flickering Lights

The dimmer switch is installed replaceing the other thinking, it was bad. The new one did the same thing, lights flickered when on low. Thanks,

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Boomer,

Do the lamps flicker simultaneously, that is, do they dim and brighten in a flicker all together at once?

This kind of behaviour can best be observed with peripheral vision.

hurk27

there was a certain brand of dimmers I ran across back a few years ago, that would start to pulsate when you were close to the rating of the dimmer, I changed out the dimmers to a higher wattage type and it worked fine, 300 watts is not much load for a dimmer, as most dimmers are 600 watts + but I would make sure the dimmer is for incandescent lamps, and not for LV transformer or fluorescent, and the lamps are incandescent and not fluorescent.

TobyD

I had a recent job where the homeowner installed a dimmer.This dimmer was installed on a group of six recessed can lights.There was constant blinking of the bulbs.I changed it out --still blinking--Looked up and noticed the flo. style bulbs had been installed after we had finished the job.I screwed in a standard r65 and the blinking stopped all except the last flo. on the link.So ,he changed back to his incadescent bulbs for the time being.

mcclary's electrical

I had a recent job where the homeowner installed a dimmer.This dimmer was installed on a group of six recessed can lights.There was constant blinking of the bulbs.I changed it out --still blinking--Looked up and noticed the flo. style bulbs had been installed after we had finished the job.I screwed in a standard r65 and the blinking stopped all except the last flo. on the link.So ,he changed back to his incadescent bulbs for the time being.

You can get dimmable compact flour.

Status
Not open for further replies.