Floor Poke-Thru

Status
Not open for further replies.

Designer69

How does the raceway for a poke-thru look underneath the floor if it is a standard office concrete floor. Basically conduit embedded in the concrete?

What if you want to remove an existing poke-thru. Cut, cap and re-pour concrete on top to make floor even?

What if you want to add a brand new poke-thru. Trench concrete floor, install conduit and re-pour concrete?

Thank You

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
If on ground floor and no crawlspace or basement, you have to trench the floor over to a wall and route your raceway from there. If new building, lay PVC to be covered by slab.

If you have open space below, core drill for your assembly and run hard pipe and/or flex to your assembly.

jmellc

Occupation
To remove one, go to nearest j box and pull wire out. Cap off. Remove any high trim rings from floor box. Fill box with concrete. If you have crawlspace, remove box. Cover hole underneath with a large box cover or slab of wood, etc. Then fill hole with concrete.

masterinbama

To abandon one I do about the same, except I plug the conduit and fill the box with sand topped with floor leveled. That way the box can be put back in service at a later date.
To remove one, go to nearest j box and pull wire out. Cap off. Remove any high trim rings from floor box. Fill box with concrete. If you have crawlspace, remove box. Cover hole underneath with a large box cover or slab of wood, etc. Then fill hole with concrete.

Sent from my LGL157BL using Tapatalk

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
A poke through goes through the floor and the conduits are below the floor in the ceiling space of the floor below. Hence the name.

if you have an outlet in a slab on grade, then it’s not a poke through, it’s a floor box. Then the conduits May be in the slab, or in the dirt below.

Poke through’s are also normally fire rated.

Much info like this can be found by perusing manufacturer’s catalogs.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
A poke through goes through the floor and the conduits are below the floor in the ceiling space of the floor below. Hence the name.

if you have an outlet in a slab on grade, then it’s not a poke through, it’s a floor box. Then the conduits May be in the slab, or in the dirt below.

I pushed that "+ what did that do?
Good answer Steve.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the comment.

But to be honest, I have no idea what the "+ button is for. I never noticed it before, so maybe it's something new that was added with one of the forum updates?

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I pushed that "+ what did that do?
Good answer Steve.

Thanks for the comment.

But to be honest, I have no idea what the "+ button is for. I never noticed it before, so maybe it's something new that was added with one of the forum updates?

That is for multiple quotes. Select all the quotes you want to reference in your answer and then select reply and they will all appear like this.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

Steve's answer covers the first part. To patch, depends on what you need. My personal preference is, if you are OK with seeing it, the manufacturer's make abandonment plugs for the holes that maintain the fire rating. The other option is to fill in with concrete. The easy way, in my opinion is to put some duct tape on the bottom of the hole when you remove the poke through and use cementituous fire caulk to fill back. It is better than concrete because say the have that spray on the ceiling below, you won't have to reapply that because the caulk is properly rated.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
That is for multiple quotes. Select all the quotes you want to reference in your answer and then select reply and they will all appear like this.

Interesting, but its going to be hard to get out of the habit I have of copying and pasting for multiple quotes.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Wow isn't technology nice; I'm sure some high school kid would already know this stuff from keyboarding class.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Interesting, but its going to be hard to get out of the habit I have of copying and pasting for multiple quotes.
Not to mention putting quotes within quotes. ;)

mstrlucky74

How does the raceway for a poke-thru look underneath the floor if it is a standard office concrete floor. Basically conduit embedded in the concrete?

What if you want to remove an existing poke-thru. Cut, cap and re-pour concrete on top to make floor even?

What if you want to add a brand new poke-thru. Trench concrete floor, install conduit and re-pour concrete?

Thank You

Poke thru usually pokes through to the floor below ceiling so conduit would not be trenched in floor. If you had a floor box then you would trench unless it was in raised floor tile. Work for adding a new poke thru would depend on the size of the new poke thru compared to the existing. They can require core drilling the floor anywhere from 4" to 8".

jmellc

Occupation
To abandon one I do about the same, except I plug the conduit and fill the box with sand topped with floor leveled. That way the box can be put back in service at a later date.

Sent from my LGL157BL using Tapatalk

Good idea. I hadn't thought of that. Buildings do get reinvented a lot in recent years. A challenge though, to find a safe place to store any surface trim rings & covers that have to be removed.

Designer69

So if I have a poke-thru (which as we concluded goes thru the floor and extends across the ceiling below) and it is powered by a panel on the same floor as said poke-thru, does the wiring/raceway look something like in the picture below?

Thank You

poke-thru.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.