florescent lighting fixture opening as mainteanance open

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkgod

I'm doing electrical inspection for US army facilities.
Should I let the contractor make a access hatch for mainteanace in the gypsum ceiling although florescent lighting fixture opening can be used for that ?
Do you know any requirements, regulations or anything related about that? It's okay that you can also tell me other regulation about that except NEC.
If we don't need to make a access hatch, it will save much money.

charlie

Re: florescent lighting fixture opening as mainteanance open

In my opinion, if there is a single junction box or conduit body or anything else that is required to be accessible, then access is required. If nothing like that exists, then access is not required. Generally speaking though, an area like that should not be closed in so that access can be gained to run circuits, or anything else in the future.

I don't know what the building codes say about the subject. :D

physis

Should I let the contractor make a access hatch for mainteanace in the gypsum ceiling although florescent lighting fixture opening can be used for that ?
I'm not completely clear on what you mean but I would say two things.

[1] Access to the outlet box is typically through the fixture.

[2] Unfinished breaches in the dry wall are usually a violation of fire code.

It sounds to me like your contractor wants to do something unorthodox and that might be ok but there should be a reasonable explaination for wanting to do it that way. :)

msd

Please elaborate on your perticular situation.

Exactly what is in the ceiling that needs to be accessed for maintance reasons. Anything up there that requires "maintance" or "service" you get a hatch. To gain access to electrical j-boxes, plumbing pipes, ducting and stuff like that, you can use a fixture to access the enclosed area.

Not an NEC issue - It's somewhare in the Building Code.

Status
Not open for further replies.