Florida bound contractor looking for some advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, i own an electrical contracting business in the Buffalo NY area. Im thinking of moving my business to the booming South Florida area. In Buffalo area we can charge in abut $65. hr. What can i expect to charge in FT Myers, Sarasota areas? How much can a good helper cost me there? What can i expect? is there room for another home builder? Yes i have applied for licensing and are on the right track but would love any advise or thoughts from any Florida contractors or others. Thanks in advance. Paul Buffalo NY

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: Florida bound contractor looking for some advise

It might be the reason the housing market is booming there is that contractors are plentiful and there is a lot of competition for the work, keeping prices depressed.

Just a thought.

bphgravity

Re: Florida bound contractor looking for some advise

I live and work half way between Sarasota and Fort Myers. The going rate in this area is anywhere from $70 per hour to as high as $95 per hour for a typical service call.

The new construction market is outstanding at this time. There is a huge demand for quality workers and contractors. I am currently contracting for a builder in the City of North Port whom is building just over 500 houses just this year, and they are only one of several dozen builders doing the same. Land is cheap, taxes are low, and there are plenty of jobs.

There is almost no help available. There are currently over 30 adds for electricians and helpers in the main area newspaper, and it has been this way since the hurricanes. A person right off the streets with no experience is going to demand roughly $10 an hour, an experienced worker will trend around $15-$19 per hour plus benefits, and they will most likely want a truck and gas expense.

The biggest issue is probably the suppliers. The local vendors which are national chains can't keep up and stock is always low. It is a real problem when you are closing on over 9 houses a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.