Florida Certified Electrician Exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

beddy

Hello all, I am studying for my Florida masters but do not totally understand the part that says I need $10,000 in Net Worth. Can this be a bond or do I really need $10,000 in an account. Thanks.

bphgravity

Actually, its BOTH.

FAC 61G6-5.004 requires that 1, the business organization secure a performance or payment bond of not less than $25,000 or provide a letter of credit indicating not less than $25,000. AND 2, provide a financial statement reflecting not less than $10,000 of net worth. The bond or line of credit is NOT the same as net worth. They are separate and distinct requirements.

Also keep in mind that FS 489.537(3)(d) allows any county or municipality to require a $5,000 performance bond for each electrical contractor registered with that jurisdiction.

beddy

So what if I were to just take the Residential exam. I know I can still do work state wide but is the net worth limit less

bphgravity

Yes. The numbers I quoted above are unlimited certified applicants.

For specialty certification, the bond / credit line reduces down to $10,000 AND the net worth is reduced to $5,000.

Only registered limited or restricted competency license applicants are exempt from the financial qualifications stipulated by the ECLB. However, you will have to meet each local jurisdiction's requirements for licensure which may involve certain financial qualification.

The county / municple bond is the same for ANY ECLB license type.

I suggest you spend some time reviewing this website:

http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/pro/elboard/index.html

Last edited:

beddy

Some peole have told me that it only needs to be on paper. For instance I can have a positive value on my home or vehicle or have value in tools. Is this true or are they taking me in the wrong direction.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
I guess you could take a 10,000 cash advance on a Credit Card, put it in the bank, get a bank statement, then turn around and pay the credit card back. Can't say that's the most ethical thing to do, but might work in a pinch.

What if your underwater on your mortgage, there is no way to show net worth being positive. Exactly what are they looking to gain by asking for this?

slect

bphgravity.. I have a similar question regrading Florida' licensing requirements. I put my ER contractors license on dormant status as I went to work for a company overseas. I didnt want to keep paying for the insurances needed to keep it active. The problem is Florida makes no distinction between an individual Master Electricians license and a contractors license. My license is showing that it is current and does not expire until 2012 but it is not active. I dont want to pull permits or do any contracting now. The problem is I dont have anything in writing to show my company that I renewed my license and I am a legitimate Master electrician. The contractors paper license expired last September. I have checked the Florida site but cant find how to get something in writing to show my company. One solution is take my license off dormant status. What a process that is..financial requirements etc. Or I could go to Texas or some other state, take the test again and get a Masters license that has no strings other than renewing each year.
Any suggestions ?

Cavie

bphgravity.. I have a similar question regrading Florida' licensing requirements. I put my ER contractors license on dormant status as I went to work for a company overseas. I didnt want to keep paying for the insurances needed to keep it active. The problem is Florida makes no distinction between an individual Master Electricians license and a contractors license. My license is showing that it is current and does not expire until 2012 but it is not active. I dont want to pull permits or do any contracting now. The problem is I dont have anything in writing to show my company that I renewed my license and I am a legitimate Master electrician. The contractors paper license expired last September. I have checked the Florida site but cant find how to get something in writing to show my company. One solution is take my license off dormant status. What a process that is..financial requirements etc. Or I could go to Texas or some other state, take the test again and get a Masters license that has no strings other than renewing each year.
Any suggestions ?

You can get a license issued with "Inactive" stamped on it. I used to have one. Florida does not reconize the word "Master". It will cost you double the CEU's per year to get it active when you do.

beddy

I have another question. am I able to take the exam and if pass do work as an individual not as a company. And is the Net worth part only if I were to start a business. I have seen on My Florida .com you can pull up someones license # and it is listed under an individule and a business. or just a individule.

Cavie

I have another question. am I able to take the exam and if pass do work as an individual not as a company. And is the Net worth part only if I were to start a business. I have seen on My Florida .com you can pull up someones license # and it is listed under an individule and a business. or just a individule.

It all depends om how you fill out the application. Individual or company.

bphgravity

Even a sole-propietor is a businees entity. So I could be Bryan P. Holland DBA Holland Electric, Inc. OR i could be Bryan P. Holland DBA Bryan P. Holland. In either case, all statuatory requirements must be complied with.

The Registered Contractor (ER) is not required to meet the financial criteria of the ECLB unless the local county / municipality requires it by ordinance. You need only register your license with the ECLB. Exam elgibility, the exam provider, and other administrative requirements for an ER are localy determined.

porky4775

moving to florida from MA

moving to florida from MA

Hey all, im new to the site. Im going to be moving to florida in a few months and im looking for any info on what the process is going to be like for my electrical liscence. let be give a quick background. I do NOT have my journeymans liscence yet. I have all of my work hours and just have to finish up some of the school. it seems from what I have been reading that I do not even need a liscence to work by myself on residential jobs. maybe I misread that. I would how ever still like to get my liscence though. would I be better off waiting till I get to florida to do this or does it even matter if I have a mass liscence. also does my schooling up here in MA count down in Florida. im just trying to make the transition as smooth as possible. any info would be helpful thanks

bphgravity

Hey all, im new to the site. Im going to be moving to florida in a few months and im looking for any info on what the process is going to be like for my electrical liscence.

Everything you need to know about electrical contractor licensing in Florida can be found here:

http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/pro/elboard/index.html

It seems from what I have been reading that I do not even need a liscence to work by myself on residential jobs.

This statement is not accurate. The following link provides all the exemptions for what persons and work does not require licensing:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...ng=&URL=0400-0499/0489/Sections/0489.503.html

Status
Not open for further replies.