flourescent tubes

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmithBuilt

Is there a way to check the ballast out? Other than installing new bulbs. I normally recommend replacing the ballast and the bulbs. Mainly because a ballast that is going bad can light new bulbs for a while.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
SmithBuilt said:
Mainly because a ballast that is going bad can light new bulbs for a while.
True, but it might cause the ends of the tube "to turn black about two inches in 48 hours." ;)

The Iceman

I just had the same problem with T12 lamps. The ballast instructions required the lamps to burn in for 100 hours. I replaced the lamps in all three fixtures, left them on for 100 hours, and had no problems. It has been two weeks and still no problems.

dnem

The Iceman said:
I just had the same problem with T12 lamps. The ballast instructions required the lamps to burn in for 100 hours. I replaced the lamps in all three fixtures, left them on for 100 hours, and had no problems. It has been two weeks and still no problems.

I agree with Iceman, I've heard that new fluorescents shouldn't be turned off and on when they're new. . You should turn them on and leave them on overnight [at least] before you turn them off for the first time.

David

mivey

I thought the burn-in was for dimming.

We always shook the lamps before installing to reduce "rolling"

dick621

After changeing the blackend tube the 27th, I checked the new one last night and it appears ok. Could still be a ballast going bad, but owner doesn't want to change it.
Has anyone heard anything about doing away with T12 lamps and ballasts completly and going to T8s? I've heard this a couple of times, but don't know if they knew what they were talking about.
Dick

dnem

dick621 said:
After changeing the blackend tube the 27th, .....

Did you let that one burn for awhile ?

When you first lit the one that eventually got a blacked end, did you burn it nonstop overnight ?

Status
Not open for further replies.