Fluke 87V Ex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the Fluke 87V Ex true RMS multimeter, what are the limitations of this instrument in a hazardous atmosphere? Are all test functions associated with this instrument safe to use use in a hazardous atmosphere? Why or why not?

I am assuming this test equipment is considered a passive device without inductive or capacitive issues in an explosive atmosphere, but I have nothing to base this assumption on.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I looked at the meter's specs at Fluke's site here. None of the safety certifications (even CSA) are acceptable in the US.

Having said that, the certifications do not appear to have any specific functional limitations in locations where it is recognized for use.

bobgorno

Not sure I would waste the extra money to purchase it. If you are checking out an intrinsically safe loop, are you supposed to verify Fluke entitiy paramaters match up with your IS barriers everytime? If you are checking voltage on a motor, who cares if the meter is I.S. when the motor is 480V?

Intrinsically Safe, ia, would denote it is safe in an area that is always or very frequently hazardous. You are only one electrical failure away from causing ignition. Doesn't the normal use of it on a circuit potentially cause the arc that could be considered a failure? Also check out the requirements for max voltage use in a hazardous area: Measurements restriction in Ex-hazardous area Voltage: 65 V
Current: 5 A

Without proper training in its use somebody is going to use it improperly and assume it is safe.

Use a standard multimeter and get a hot work permit. It's always safer that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.