Fluke's new 345.

Status
Not open for further replies.

whillis

I've got one that I use to verify harmonics and PF on single phase switching loads and it works great. The software that comes with is simple to use and works well for getting screen shots into reports. Battery life isn't spectacular, but it does come with an AC adapter and plenty of room in the case for spare batteries.

mdshunk

Is there really a need for a handheld power quality analyzer? I think this thing is a little weird. It looks, to me at least, like it fills a need that doesn't exist.

jdsmith

petersonra said:
at $1400 I will pass, but if you feel the need to get me a birthday present, my birthday is coming soon. :)

There was a new one that sold on ebay recently for $620. I have the non-handheld version (Fluke 43B) or else I may have thought about it. I hadn't thought about battery life, but that would be an issue.

For me the 43B was a much better deal. It includes the functionality of a single phase power quality tool, most of the functionality of an industrial scope, and logging features that are useful in themselves.

wptski

mdshunk said:
Is there really a need for a handheld power quality analyzer? I think this thing is a little weird. It looks, to me at least, like it fills a need that doesn't exist.
What exactly are you refering to? No need for a handheld PQA or a PQA?

mdshunk

wptski said:
What exactly are you refering to? No need for a handheld PQA or a PQA?
Handheld.

I'm just puzzled what this instrument does for me that other very similar instruments in their line don't already do.

wptski

mdshunk said:
Handheld.

I'm just puzzled what this instrument does for me that other very similar instruments in their line don't already do.
It's a matter of choice and cost. Compare the 345 to the 43B. The 345 is smaller, handier and costs less but "may" not do all that the 43B will. The 345 is much cheaper though.

brian john

The 345 is much cheaper though.

While test equipment is coming down in cost (SOME) consider your statement CHEAPER, just does not go with the term "power QUALITY". IMO cheaper gives you just that, unless you have a SPECIFIC application in mind. You are left standing saying "I should have bought the XXXXXX" As the T-Shirt says "Been there done that"

wptski

brian john said:
While test equipment is coming down in cost (SOME) consider your statement CHEAPER, just does not go with the term "power QUALITY". IMO cheaper gives you just that, unless you have a SPECIFIC application in mind. You are left standing saying "I should have bought the XXXXXX" As the T-Shirt says "Been there done that"
I haven't made a side by side comparison to the 345 and 43B but I'd guess with the "lower" cost comes less features too. Instead of using a seperate current clamp like the 43B uses, the 345 is a current clamp and a bit more handy. You can carry it in a belted case, the 43B, not.

I wouldn't call anything from Fluke as being poor quality myself.

mdshunk

wptski said:
You can carry it in a belted case, the 43B, not.
Oh boy! Exactly what I want to do with a 1500 dollar meter. Carry it around with me on my belt. Never know when or where you're going to need to check power quality. Best to have it handy.

electricalperson

mdshunk said:
Oh boy! Exactly what I want to do with a 1500 dollar meter. Carry it around with me on my belt. Never know when or where you're going to need to check power quality. Best to have it handy.
its good to be prepared for the unexpected!

mdshunk

ptonsparky said:
Kind of like driving those vans with more stuff than what I have in my shop. You are prepared.:smile:
No, you just got to draw the line someplace.

Tell me, what value would something like being able to carry a PQA in a belt holster have? Holsters for test equipment is handy if it's the sort of equipment you might need to climb a ladder to use. Holster it, use both hands to climb and get in position, then unholster the tool. For a PQA, I see that sorta like putting chrome on a Yugo.

I see this particular tool as little more than a teaser an an attractive price.

wptski

Kind of wonder why something more technical than a wiggy becomes a joke here? This is just not the right forum for this type of discussion!

There are a class of electricians that actually use these type of tools but obviously, hardly any here.:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.