Fluorescent lamp disposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

JES2727

I'd like to comply with the regulations for disposal of fluorescent lamps, but they don't make it easy. I found a place in Bethlehem PA that will sell me cartons to ship my lamps to them, about $2 per T-12 lamp. Is anybody aware of any facilities in central jersey that will accept them? There are drop-off centers around here, but they are for residents. I don't think they'd take kindly to me showing up with dozens of lamps. What is everyone else doing about this??

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't know about Jersey but you can probably just dump them in Brooklyn...:grin::grin:

Seriously , around here they take them at the county landfill. I save my bulbs and batteries and make a trip every few months.

hockeyoligist2

JES2727 said:
I'd like to comply with the regulations for disposal of fluorescent lamps, but they don't make it easy. I found a place in Bethlehem PA that will sell me cartons to ship my lamps to them, about $2 per T-12 lamp. Is anybody aware of any facilities in central jersey that will accept them? There are drop-off centers around here, but they are for residents. I don't think they'd take kindly to me showing up with dozens of lamps. What is everyone else doing about this??

I have that problem too, I have asked our supplier and he tells me they don't handle that part, but I could throw them in their trash bin if I wanted to. I've been to the recycle place, they don't have a bin for them. They are all ending up in the landfill.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
When I said landfill I mean they have a special area for (hazardous wastes) paint, batteries, fluorescents, oil, etc and they dispose of them properly.

muskiedog

County Resources

County Resources

Talk with your county waste management department. They will have vendors who will supply this information.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
hockeyoligist2 said:
I have that problem too, I have asked our supplier and he tells me they don't handle that part, but I could throw them in their trash bin if I wanted to. I've been to the recycle place, they don't have a bin for them. They are all ending up in the landfill.

I've had the same problem. My supplier had a sign posted from corporate that praised themselves for offering proper lamp disposal. I had a job that involved removing almost 30 2x4 troffers and changing to 2x2's. I told my supplier I wanted to have them dispose of the lamps, and wanted to know the price so I could add it to my price. I was told that it was too expensive to have them disposed of, but bring them in and they'll put them in the dumpster. I ended up letting the owner handle disposal and i'm 99.99% certain they ended up in a dumpster behind their building.

e57

Toss in dumpster far from your truck and lacking cameras - followed by a brick - once busted and safely away from said dumping site you can breathe again. :roll:

IMPO they should be banned, rather than forced down the throats of us and the public until they sort out all the toxic issues. You could guarantee that if they used uranium or cyanide as a catalyst the bulbs never would have made it out of the lab. They just need to ditch the mercury for something that wont make you retarded or kill fish and I would be happy to ram them further down the throats of the public for them.

JES2727

electricalperson said:
i seen some lamps floating in the ocean when i was on vacation in bermuda once. thats what they must do down there. :D
I liked Bermuda, although i didn't see any toxic waste floating in the sea. Thanks everyone for the input but I still don't know what to do with all the lamps that are filling up my storage space

yursparky

JES2727 said:
Thanks everyone for the input but I still don't know what to do with all the lamps that are filling up my storage space

Why not recycle them? :grin:

But seriously ..... check out www.lamprecycle.org for information on NJ regulations for recycling fluorescent lamps and also for an extensive list of companies that recycle lamps. I didn't see a drop-off facility in New Jersey on the list, you might have to ship them, or there might be one close to you in another state.

e57

Locally for you - dont know.... Take them to the dump - most have a recycling specifically for them - somewhere near the Agent Orange bin.

Status
Not open for further replies.