footcandles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the NEC cover footcandles of light on prep. areas, walk-in freezers, hood tops,ect., in a restaurant? If so,please guide me in the right direction

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The NEC does not address the minimum amount of lighting needed in any given area. That sort of information is provided in standards published by the Illuminating Society of America.

Welcome to the forum.

barclayd

charlie b said:
The NEC does not address the minimum amount of lighting needed in any given area. That sort of information is provided in standards published by the Illuminating Society of America.

Welcome to the forum.

Illuminating Engineering Society of North America

https://www.iesna.org/

Lumers, Footnagles, and Glare

minimum amount of lighting the NEC

minimum amount of lighting the NEC

I appreciate the feedback because I've never seen any thing concerning, "footcandles" in the NEC but, as always, i had to bring it home to the forum.

ultramegabob

When I wire resturaunts, the board of health comes in with a lux meter and checks if the lighting is bright enough at countertop height, and at various locations in kitchen and coolers.

raberding

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
foodservice illuminance

foodservice illuminance

I seem to recall that most Health Departments require 50 fc on food prep worksurfaces

Local building and energy conservation codes should cover that. I know in Ohio, on commercial, we need to show a lighting calculation by square foot (allowed levels change per use) or just use the free ComCheck software from the DOE.

At least when we get building permits we need to show that.

drbond24

Here's what you need:

iesna_lighting_handbook.jpg

It is expensive though. $425 new on Amazon.

gndrod

restaurant Fc requirements

restaurant Fc requirements

ericlwinston said:
Does the NEC cover footcandles of light on prep. areas, walk-in freezers, hood tops,ect., in a restaurant? If so,please guide me in the right direction
Hi ericl,
Charlie b is spot on as the NEC does not use Footcandles (that are by design) but does specify General light loads using V-A per SF minimums by occupancy...see Table 220.12 and lighting load DF %...Table 220.42.

Reference to the IESNA will give illumination references for standards that may be adopted for local requirements, but this does not really address energy conservation levels for optimum task area lighting. Illumination guidelines may not apply in some States that require lighting strategies to conform to lamp efficacy range outputs such as California's Title 24 constraints.

The DOE Comcheck and Rescheck calculations are also not sufficient in addressing AHJ requirements in lighting efficiencies for energy saving minimums that are crucial in keeping down overhead costs and excess extended Utility Tier imposed penalties. I am relating to past (1980) energy management experiences where a single restaurant would consume enough electrical that would cost around 10K (USD) per month in utility bills.

As a quick reference, www.energytrust.org/library/case_studies/Seasons_Region.pdf would be a good place to start for understanding restaurant lighting selection for what you are seeking. The data will be a plus on helping the client save overhead costs and get optimum workplane illumination for each task and environment lighting. rbj

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.