For North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
How's it going guys? I'm wanting to sit and test for my license here in NC. I'll take a prep course beforehand of course, but I have a couple questions.

I've read the info available on the NC board of examiners site, but I'm still unsure of the correct order of steps to take to sitting for the test. I understand that I'll need to verify my time worked here via the forms, but does that come after passing the test or is that required to be eligible to sit for the test?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
How's it going guys? I'm wanting to sit and test for my license here in NC. I'll take a prep course beforehand of course, but I have a couple questions.

I've read the info available on the NC board of examiners site, but I'm still unsure of the correct order of steps to take to sitting for the test. I understand that I'll need to verify my time worked here via the forms, but does that come after passing the test or is that required to be eligible to sit for the test?
You have to meet the time requirement as a prerequisite to sit for the test. See page 3 and then jump to pages 66 through 75 of THIS LINK, these applicable forms have to be completed before you will get the acceptance letter to take the exam.

Roger

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking. I didn't want to schedule my prep course and still have to wait a few months to sit for it. Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
FWIW, last time I checked, NC was the only state that Florida had reciprocal licensing privileges with.

Probably because both states are prime hurricane targets!

Years ago, an engineer of my acquaintance mentioned that most states will accept a license from other states without (much of a) question. Exceptions were:

-- California, due to earthquakes
-- Florida, due to hurricacnes
-- New York, because they're ornery.

:)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I always thought that NC had reciprocity with other states who had exams as advanced or as difficult as NC exams.

The limited exam historically had a 17% passing rate.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I always thought that NC had reciprocity with other states who had exams as advanced or as difficult as NC exams.

The limited exam historically had a 17% passing rate.
And this is the correct reason.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Has absolutely nothing to do with electrical licensing.

Years ago, an engineer of my acquaintance mentioned that most states will accept a license from other states without (much of a) question.
Silly engineer. :roll:

Exceptions were:

AFAIK, New York doesn't have a state EC license and if that's the case it doesn't hold water anyways.

Roger

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College

Years ago, an engineer of my acquaintance mentioned that most states will accept a license from other states without (much of a) question. Exceptions were:

-- California, due to earthquakes
-- Florida, due to hurricacnes

...that was supposed to be hurricanes, not hurric-acnes.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Check reciprocity on website, ncbeec.org. I just saw list today; Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia. It mentions documents though, so you probably have to register somehow or other to work those states.

Status
Not open for further replies.