For Our Inspectors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
:? I thought we were talking about connecting the inter-system bonding grid to a piece of #6 going to a ground rod instead of directly to the service enclosure.

Is the question under discussion about hooking the inter-system bonding device right, smack on the ground rod?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
:? I thought we were talking about connecting the inter-system bonding grid to a piece of #6 going to a ground rod instead of directly to the service enclosure.

Is the question under discussion about hooking the inter-system bonding device right, smack on the ground rod?

Yes, that was my comment in post #2.

pete m.

So... how about the GEC is continuous from the service equipment through the acorn clamp on the rod and a tail long enough to reach the IBJ is utilized... we are still technically making the attachment to the actual GEC.

Pete

Occupation
Inspector
So, what did the inspector say? Inquiring minds wanna know.

Passed with no problem. Nothing more said about it.

Yes

This is correct, the problem is that the #6 is not the GEC. The rod in question does have the GEC attached though.

Yes that is the setup

Ok, went back and read over the posts.

So we have a #6 GEC from the main down to a ground rod, then we have a second #6 coming back up from the ground rod and the inter-system terminal is attached. Am I right?

Yes. The ground rod was existing to a Service. I upgraded the Service but did not have to touch the original GEC from the GR to the main panel, indoors. There was no slack on the original GEC so I added a 2nd clamp on the GR and ran my #6 to the IBT just under the Meter

So... how about the GEC is continuous from the service equipment through the acorn clamp on the rod and a tail long enough to reach the IBJ is utilized... we are still technically making the attachment to the actual GEC.

Pete

I have done that in the past but would not work for this situation.

I just misunderstood what he was describing.

I thought he was being cute and trying to call the rod itself a 'GEC'. :)

Who did you think was calling the rod itself a GEC?

Occupation
Inspector
The install as it was done is a code violation regardless of it passing or working fine.

Thanks for the input, next time I'll make sure I connect the IBT correctly :happyyes:

Why did you not just use a device like this?

View attachment 6915

The device I used was like the one pictured. The problem, the GEC is too low and there was not enough room to connect the IBT and attach it to the House.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Thanks for the input, next time I'll make sure I connect the IBT correctly :happyyes:

The device I used was like the one pictured. The problem, the GEC is too low and there was not enough room to connect the IBT and attach it to the House.

OK, now I understand why you did what you did. We may be running into a similar situation. Upgrade a panel in the basement that has underground feed. The top of the panel will be lower than the top of the ground rods.

Fortunately, the inspectors here actually use common sense and work with us in situations like this.

Now, here is my question. If you make the conductor long enough to go a few feet farther than the last electrode, is that last few feet still a GEC?

Status
Not open for further replies.