Former employer

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

Just ask yourself one question, would you tell your former boss BEFORE you bid the work for his previous customers? If you WOULDN'T tell him, I don't think you're being ethical. The very fact that you're asking all of us about this makes me think that you don't feel quite right about what you are doing. Just look at your conscience, you'll find the right answer.

If you WOULD tell him before, then all is cool. Like previous posters have said, it's a free market. Go for it. Just don't be sneaky about it.

Nonsense....

pfalcon

Curious as to what charges. This is a free world and we do not own anyone. When i opened my night club i took over 70 % of another clubs buisness. Simply put they are not mine but they prefer how we run ours. Seen same thing happen 35 years ago when i was fixing TV's for living. Guy i was working for sold out to another company. When they called they found out Jim had left. I went up the road 1/2 mile to another shop and customers followed.

There is a civil issue commonly called poaching. It only applies when a recent, former employee takes a the employer's client list and solicits business. It does not apply after time passes. It does not prohibit notifying your own contacts that you have moved on. It does not prohibit clients from voluntarily following you.

And if your former employer does not like you doing well in your new career. Well.

Jim W in Tampa

There is a civil issue commonly called poaching. It only applies when a recent, former employee takes a the employer's client list and solicits business. It does not apply after time passes. It does not prohibit notifying your own contacts that you have moved on. It does not prohibit clients from voluntarily following you.

And if your former employer does not like you doing well in your new career. Well.

Ok so legal to tell them your on your own does about same thing. Got news for the old boss, the GC looks for better price every day and if your it he bit the dust. Always got a kick out of employers wanting a 2 week notice if your leaving them but you won't get 2 minutes warning when they are done with you. Paybacks are h---, take all the work you can from them.

eds

you are right, I didn't realize it was going to the NEC forum meant to be in the contracting section.

Thought a few people might have been down this road and could throw out some thoughts or comments. I worked for a very good boss for 14 years started with him, got my journeymans, and master's while working for him. I would always take any job that he had coming up- spec homes, upscale homes, strip malls, carwash, commercial remodels, resi remodels, about any that came down I wanted to do it. I left the company to start my own about 4 years ago and receive calls from fomer clients of his wanting to know if I am interested in bidding some work, I usually pass (mainly because I was swamped) but am now starting to reconsider. I left on good terms, but we don't speak to each other much. Any thoughts?

Obviously they liked what they got. You can offer partnering with your former Company, you taking the lead position. That way you can accept more work and return some benefits to your former boss. COuld be a win-win instead of a win-loose.

electricmanscott

So it's okay to be sneaky? I don't agree. Please explain why you think my comment is 'nonsense'. I'd really be interested in what you have to say.

What I think is nonsense is your implication that everytime somebody calls to have work done you would have to first see if it is somebody you may have worked for with a former employer and secondly ok it with that former employer. What happens if the former employer says no, you can't work for those people, they belong to me? Do you just walk away?

What's sneaky about the situation? The guy left the company four years ago. The former employers customers called him to bid work. As far as I am concerned the second he walked out that door four years ago everything is fair game. Where's the problem. :-?

I've been in business for 15 years. If I have to be sneaky to stay afloat you can bet your ass I'll be as sneaky as I have to be. So to answer your question, yes it is ok to be sneaky. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.