Found these gems on 2 different jobs this past week

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
My dad's house (built in 1976ish) had one of those Sears panels originally installed. It had same components as Crouse Hinds had in them but with Sears name on it. It did get replaced maybe mid 1990's when the main breaker to buss connection failed - with a Crouse Hinds (maybe Murray by then) panel.

mgookin

For about 50 years Sears would sell houses through their catalog - the whole house.

Since those panels are saying you can use Westinghouse, I'd guess that's who made them for Sears.
Sears does not make what they sell. They have third party manufacturers put Sears brand on things.

kwired

Electron manager
For about 50 years Sears would sell houses through their catalog - the whole house.

My mother in law owns farm she grew up on. Her parents did not buy the house but acquired it from relatives - and it was one of those "Craftsman" homes. Not sure when it was built, 1920's to 1930's I'd guess. We were doing some renovating a few years ago to get it back into good shape - it hadn't been occupied for 30 years. If you paid close attention you can find a number stamped on most boards - those would have corresponded to a number on the framing plans.

We did find on the back side of a piece of trim we had removed a shipping label. It was shipped by rail from Chicago to a nearby town.

Since those panels are saying you can use Westinghouse, I'd guess that's who made them for Sears.
Sears does not make what they sell. They have third party manufacturers put Sears brand on things.

They may have had more then one source for these over the time period that they sold them - the one that was in my Dad's house had very identical bus and breakers to many Crouse -Hinds panels made about that same time.

I know they have/have had different appliance manufacturers make their Kennmore appliances over the years.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It was very common for older Murray loadcenters to list ITE, Bryant or Westinghouse in addition to their own breakers as being acceptable.

mgookin

My mother in law owns farm she grew up on. Her parents did not buy the house but acquired it from relatives - and it was one of those "Craftsman" homes. Not sure when it was built, 1920's to 1930's I'd guess. We were doing some renovating a few years ago to get it back into good shape - it hadn't been occupied for 30 years. If you paid close attention you can find a number stamped on most boards - those would have corresponded to a number on the framing plans.

We did find on the back side of a piece of trim we had removed a shipping label. It was shipped by rail from Chicago to a nearby town.

They may have had more then one source for these over the time period that they sold them - the one that was in my Dad's house had very identical bus and breakers to many Crouse -Hinds panels made about that same time.

I know they have/have had different appliance manufacturers make their Kennmore appliances over the years.

So you're saying you can't be sure if it's Westinghouse? :lol:

norcal

Monkey Wards panels were made by American Switch, which had some tie to Zinsco Electrical Products or later GTE Sylvania.

BTW, does anyone remember General Switch? Only time ever have seen them around here was in a now defunct farm store, somewhere have a pic of one, 200A Zinsco style main & the bus looked like it was cast rather then formed from aluminum sheet stock like most.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
BTW, does anyone remember General Switch?

With my work history in Nebraska and Minnesota, I have seen a fair number of General Switch 30 Amp fused disconnect general duty safety switches used mostly on motors. pumps, water heaters and central ACs with installation having occurred back in the Sixties or Seventies.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I dealt with one of these recently, and figured that it said MP type breakers and I can still buy those new, so that's what went in.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
BTW, does anyone remember General Switch? Only time ever have seen them around here was in a now defunct farm store, somewhere have a pic of one, 200A Zinsco style main & the bus looked like it was cast rather then formed from aluminum sheet stock like most.

I've seen quite a lot of General Switch disconnects of various types, but I don't recall any load centers.

Status
Not open for further replies.