Four conductors

guschash

I will be installing an outdoor panel in the coming weeks. This a Bar and grill and there are already two services. They both come from a tie box under meter or should I say meter feeds bus bar and these two services attach to bus. Now I need to run another service from this bus , does it have to have four wires or do I just three and install ground bar that new service panel. So there will three independent services coming from this same bus. Power company is alright tiring in to bus but do I run 4 wires or 3.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I will be installing an outdoor panel in the coming weeks. This a Bar and grill and there are already two services. They both come from a tie box under meter or should I say meter feeds bus bar and these two services attach to bus. Now I need to run another service from this bus , does it have to have four wires or do I just three and install ground bar that new service panel. So there will three independent services coming from this same bus. Power company is alright tiring in to bus but do I run 4 wires or 3.
Where is your service disconnect? Do you have one, or by the sounds of it, you have three.

Grouped together,of course.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
One service, two or three feeders.

An EGC is a must, so are you asking about omitting the neutral or one line?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If the conductors you are adding are service conductors and this is a single-phase service, 3 conductors (with a bonded neutral in your panel).
If there is a service disconnect ahead of the panel you are adding then the conductors are feeders and a EGC would need to be added.

guschash

Yes Augie these are all service conductors , single-phase. There is no disconnect before them. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: