FPE Meter Stack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have an FPE meter stack on an apartment building with 13 meters. Three Stacks, 4-4-5. One Meter Socket has been broken. The meter was removed by Excel Energy the Utility Co. I found no replacement for the socket.
I added a Cutler Hammer Meter Socket to the outside of the stack along with a new disconnect. Using the existing studs on the busbar I attached chair lugs and connected the new conductors there. Added no addition load, replacing the 90Amp FPE breaker with a Cutler Hammer 90 Amp Breaker. The Inspector in Westminister, Colo Liked the install but would not pass the inspection because the meter stack had been modified and needed to be listed for this use. I argued that the service was not really modified because the bus bar was not drill I used the original conections provided. He said I needed a listing from Cutler Hammer that list was OK, or have a UL field verification, or replace the entire service to the building.

Is there any precedence for this kind if install. I know of two other Electrical Contractors who have done the same kind of install and passed their inspection ind different jurisdictions in the Denver Area. Westminister has not had to inspect FPE or ITE Jobs like this yet. They are afraid to establish a precedence.

Can anyone help!

Thanks, Kevin

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A third party lisiting agent will cost you a few thousand so that is not the best way to go. Is there a person above the inspector who you can talk to about the install.

Status
Not open for further replies.