FR Clothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

shepelec

It's time to redo the work clothes, but I can't afford $90 shirts and $100 pants, I'm only a one horse show.;)
Anybody have any recomenadtions for reasonably priced distributors for FR clothing?

ItsHot

There is no cheap FR clothing. But how do you put a price on safety? What is your hide worth? I would look at Carhart amd Bulwark. Also remember to get a set of FR coveralls for the added layer of protection. Zog is the man with further details to get with you on this topic. You first have to determine the level of protection you need.

Volta

You can check out this company, might be a little cheaper. That is who I've been getting my V-rated gloves from. Bet that you can get pants for 60 bucks and up.

I just got some quotes from them this week. FR suit of hood, jacket, bib overall, and leggings rated 20 calories was 343.00, 51 cal was 454.00.

You need to coordinate the various layers, you shouldn't simply add type of coverall over random FR clothing. They are to be tested as a set. Check out this forum too for some more info.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If you are looking for every day work clothes, I wear US made clothes with a HRC2 rating. The jeans cost $55, and the shirts cost $39. I get them from Tyndale. Their site is not very user friendly and you will have to call them to set up an account and get a price list.

zog

Tyndale is good or you can go to the salisbury site and find your local distributor. Be careful with the cheap deals on line, there is a ton of counterfeit FR clothing out there right now.

eric7379

We get our FR clothing through Cintas. Another company to check would be Aramark. I'm sure that going down this road would be more expensive than buying the clothing outright.

Another company to think about (if buying the FR clothing outright) would be Conney Safety. www.conney.com

They have a lot of different safety related products. We get all of our arc flash gear through them.

TxEngr

I've purchased Bulwark pants and shirts from a couple of different companies I found on the internet. The prices are slightly more than you pay for normal wear ($40 pants vs. $30 Levis) but the extra money is worth it. Just look around and check out the company before you buy. Here's an example of a site (not necessarily recommendeding them) http://www.workuniformsonline.com/frclothing.htm

zog

Again , be very cautious about these on line suppliers, lots of counterfeit stuff on line not even FR and never tested. There have been many people injuried already wearing this stuff and it is being investigated as we speak, just be careful.

billsnuff

Fwiw

Fwiw

ASTM F1449
Significance and Use

This guide identifies the responsibilities of the fiber, fabric, and clothing manufacturers, as well as the processor, the processor?chemical supplier and the end user.

This guide describes the key components involved in a program for the care and maintenance of flame, thermal, and arc resistant clothing.

The guidelines in this standard will provide a processor assistance to develop a processing system that maintains the flame, thermal, and arc resistant characteristics of the clothing during its useful service life.

5.3.1 The development of published formulas for each fabric and level of soiling is difficult at any given point in time due to ongoing continuous improvement of flame, thermal and arc resistant clothing, including new fibers, fabrics, and laundering equipment and procedures.

The guide also provides suggestions as to when flame, thermal, and arc resistant garments should be removed from service.

1. Scope

1.1 This guide provides recommendations for the care and maintenance of clothing that is flame, thermal, and arc resistant.

1.2 These recommendations address the Industrial Laundering process.

Note 1?The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) recommends leaving clothing soiled with hazardous chemicals at work to be laundered by the employer; or if such clothing is washed at home, to launder separately from the family wash.

1.2.1 This guide does not apply to dry cleaning of flame, thermal, and arc resistant clothing. For more information on dry cleaning, follow label instructions or contact your garment supplier.

Note 2?Dry cleaning indicates cleaning by a professional dry cleaner.

1.2.2 This guide does not apply to home laundering of flame, thermal, and arc resistant clothing. For more information on home laundering, follow label instructions or contact your garment supplier.

Note 3?Home laundering indicates laundering in a home laundering machine.

1.3 It is important that potentially flammable contaminants are removed from garments during the wash process. If flammable contaminants are not removed, the flame resistance of the garment will be compromised. (See Note 1.)

Note 4?Effective cleaning and proper maintenance of the protective characteristics of flame, thermal and arc resistant protective clothing should include consideration of the services a professional processor can supply.

1.4 It is important that the processes and materials used to launder flame resistant garments are compatible with the FR materials to ensure that the FR protection of the garment is not compromised during the laundering process.

1.5 It is the responsibility of the end user to determine if their laundering method is the appropriate care and maintenance procedure for their application. (See Appendix X1 and X1.1.)

1.6 This guide does not apply to specialized protective garments such as specialized firefighter turnout gear and proximity firefighter ensembles.

1.7 This guide also identifies inspection criteria that are significant to the performance of flame, thermal, and arc resistant clothing.

wtucker

I've seen guys needlessly pay a boatload of dough for over-protection: buying 45-cal. ATPV FR when they really only need 8, flash hood when a face shield and balaclava will do, etc., etc. By the time they're done, they could be safely hangin' 345-KV transmission lines, not fiddlin' around with 120/208. Buy the protection you need, not the protection the salesman has on the rack. You might find it's light enough that you'll actually use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.