Fractional hp motor applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fnewman

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Engineering Manager at Larson Engineering
I am currently working o a project where there will be several fans driven by motors rated at 1/6 hp, at 460 v, 3 phase, based on the project standards. Although I know that such motors are available, it seems like a bit of overkill. However, in the event I can't talk them into a 240 v single phase motor, what would be the most economical, code-compliant way to serve these motors?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
There are many different ways to wire and control fans. I do a lot of them but I have no idea if the way I do it would even work in your situation.

Ingenieur

NEC table doesn't even list one, smallest is 1/2 HP 1.1 A
are you sure a 480/3 1/6 HP is even available in a std fan offering?

Fnewman

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Engineering Manager at Larson Engineering
1/6 hp, 480 v 3 phaseis a standard offering in the fan vendor's catalog; however, I have convinced the client to use 230 v single phase ( which is already available)

kwired

Electron manager
NEC table doesn't even list one, smallest is 1/2 HP 1.1 A
are you sure a 480/3 1/6 HP is even available in a std fan offering?
They are rare indeed below 1/2 HP.

I did install a inverter duty fan cooled motor once that the cooling motor was maybe only 1/10 hp, 480 volts three phase. Was factory assembled and installed on a Baldor 50 hp motor. Made sure to put proper overcurrent protection on it, and it did save the motor once when a bearing went out. Otherwise it may just have gotten replaced with a much easier to find single phase motor had it cooked a winding.

Status
Not open for further replies.