Friday's Spot the Violations

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Did a service call this morning, and saw this on the house.

STV001.jpg~original

STV002.jpg~original

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Well, obviously the receptacle is not fastened securely to the vinyl siding.

BAHTAH

Spot the violations

Spot the violations

Looks like an installation by "Exterior Light Crashers" where they come in while your at dinner and do a total retrofit of your exterior lighting system. Maybe this was the "Pilot
Show" and we can look forward to yet another reality show on HGTV.

jes25

My dad has the same set up at his place. He likes it because he can control his Christmas lights with it. As a side benefit, he doesn't even have to worry about a gfi tripping.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
What if, instead of dangling a portion of an extension cord from who-knows-what connection at the light, he screwed one of those "lamp socket to receptacle socket" adapters? He could then plug the outdoor lights into that, and control them with an inside wall switch. Would that be a violation?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
What if, instead of dangling a portion of an extension cord from who-knows-what connection at the light, he screwed one of those "lamp socket to receptacle socket" adapters? He could then plug the outdoor lights into that, and control them with an inside wall switch. Would that be a violation?
Not at my house.:D

480sparky

Get the cord into the light. :roll:

Cavie

What if, instead of dangling a portion of an extension cord from who-knows-what connection at the light, he screwed one of those "lamp socket to receptacle socket" adapters? He could then plug the outdoor lights into that, and control them with an inside wall switch. Would that be a violation?[/QUOTE That's exactly what I do every year!

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
What if, instead of dangling a portion of an extension cord from who-knows-what connection at the light, he screwed one of those "lamp socket to receptacle socket" adapters? He could then plug the outdoor lights into that, and control them with an inside wall switch. Would that be a violation?[/QUOTE That's exactly what I do every year!
An outlet is an outlet, as long you connect listed components to it!
(Actually an over-generalization, but ....)

Status
Not open for further replies.