Fuel Dispensing Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigsid

I have two self serve fuel dispensing units side by side outside and each one has a factory made panel box that's not explosion proof that are rated 30Amps, 208volts. There's a hard-usage cord coming from the panel box down to a explosion proof box that's for the terminal connections from a feeder panel outside. This doesn't seem like a class 1 div. 1 location to me. Is it possible to run liquid-tight flexible metal conduit with approved fittings just for flexibility areas coming from that junction box for this connection or should i run TYPE TC/CIC OR TYPE MC-HL cable.
I know i have to put seal fittings on because this is coming from a feeder panel outside. Tell me what u think about this job.

This is an overseas project.

Last edited:

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Since this is not a US domestic site, the dispensing units are probably not built to ANSI/UL 87. The significance is ANSI/UL 87 defines the area classification inside the units. There would also be a manufacture?s set of instructions detailing minimum wiring methods inside the units.

In absence of the manufacture?s document, I would make the assumption that the box is required to be XP since I have no other basis to determine it. All penetrations would need to be XP sealed.

Wiring methods outside the XP box are problematic. I would not use LTMC without being certain the location was no more than Division 2. Without the manufacturer?s documentation it is hard to tell.

You threw me a bit with Type TC/CIC. It is not a US recognized designation; it is a UL designation for TC cables tested per CSA standards. (I had to look it up. The US equivalent is generally TC-ER). Technically, TC (CIC or ER) is not acceptable in Division 1. Occasionally, they are also rated as some form of ?extra-hard usage cord,? which would be acceptable in limited applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.