Fuel Oil Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Is there special installation/material that must be used within this room...class 1/div 1? What code section would I need to reference? Also would it be just where the fuel oil tank is? Thanks.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Is there special installation/material that must be used within this room...class 1/div 1? What code section would I need to reference? Also would it be just where the fuel oil tank is? Thanks.

If it's just fuel oil, No. 2 Diesel, probably not. When was the last time you saw XP fixtures in a resi basement with an oi-fired boiler?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am tempted to suggest oil proof fittings in case there is a leak but there just is not much in the way of special requirements for electrical installations for fuel oil.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
If it's just fuel oil, No. 2 Diesel, probably not. When was the last time you saw XP fixtures in a resi basement with an oi-fired boiler?
Yep, my son's oil tank is in his basement.
Biggest problem is sometimes we have to meet the delivery truck so they can verify there is a tank in there.
Can't blame them for that.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Yep, my son's oil tank is in his basement.
Biggest problem is sometimes we have to meet the delivery truck so they can verify there is a tank in there.
Can't blame them for that.

In my last house the tank was also in the basement but they never required someone to be there. Although, now that I recall, there was a basement window just to the right of the fill line and they could see the tank through that.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It used to be that at least a few times a year there was a news story of some residential oil tank being refilled somewhere in the US that no longer existed. Don't see those stories anymore. I wonder if it no longer happens or it is no longer news.

Many years ago somewhere not real far from where I lived there was a propane company that tried to refill a propane tank that had some kind of faulty relief valve I think and the propane just went right out into the air. The propane company blew a whole truck full of propane. Then they tried to send the bill to the HO. The HO apparently pointed out the tank and valve belonged to the propane company and that shut them up. A story related to me by my landlord when I lived out in the county one year and had propane heat.

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
It used to be that at least a few times a year there was a news story of some residential oil tank being refilled somewhere in the US that no longer existed. Don't see those stories anymore. I wonder if it no longer happens or it is no longer news.

My guess Rule #1 is: Verify there is a tank.
Rule#2 Verify the address.

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
Similar but not quite so catastrophic problems used to occur with coal chutes. :)

Never heard of that but no doubt it happened. Grandparents had the only coal furnace I had ever seen other than the boiler at our church.

Status
Not open for further replies.