FUS (Constructions Not Covered)

Status
Not open for further replies.

d'Arsonval

Long time dweller among various engineering, and maintenance forums.
Have made random visits here over the years but have never signed up to this site until now.

Recently I've been asked to help in rekindling the repair shop's UL Follow Up Service procedure
related to Motors and Generators for use in hazardous locations. And I'm little "rusty" on the subject.

We have the most recent FUS issue of Section General, Vol 1, etc. which clearly states the constructions not covered in the procedure include Pumps, Electric Brakes, and so on.

We're being asked to repair certain UL listed waste water sewage pumps that don't appear to be covered in the FUS.

I know there are additional steps one can take such as contacting the manufacturer of a device to learn if they participate in a FUS procedure
for re-builder's by supplying, information, replacement parts, etc.

I'm getting "rumblings" that the pumps are indeed covered in UL Standard 674.

Yet... I'm a little confused for I never remember referring to 674 in other shops where employed that were authorized to rebuild hazardous location equipment.

I'm interpreting that the UL 674 standard pertains to what an actual manufacturer of a product must adhere to for a particular item/apparatus to be UL Listed...
And that UL Standard 674 has nothing to do with a re-building procedure?

Thanks for any insight or contributions you may have in helping me understand a subject I've been away from for awhile.

John

mgookin

For the benefit of others reading this, FUS appears to be UL "Follow Up Service".

OP: If you use a phrase and then an acronym to refer back to the phrase, it would help if you would put the acronym in parenthesis following first use of the phrase in your post. Example: "Recently I've been asked to help in rekindling the repair shop's UL Follow Up Service (FUS) procedure related to Motors and Generators for use in hazardous locations. And I'm little "rusty" on the subject. And having it in the title threw me off as well. There's a saying "The answer is only as good as the question." There are exceptionally talented people on here who are eager to help as long as they don't get too dizzy trying to figure out the post.

And a very warm welcome to the forums! :thumbsup:

To see if I understand your question - you rebuild motors for hazardous locations. You want to maintain the listing or be able to put irrefutable credentials behind the rebuild process such that the motor qualifies for either new installation or reinstallation in a hazardous location, right?

d'Arsonval

Sorry about the confusing post. Two-and-a-Half-part questions can be difficult to form on a nice sunny day.

As I understand it? UL Standard 674 defines the many requirements an OEM must meet to produce a product for use in a hazardous location.
It has nothing to do with the product re-building process required by a service shop. The rebuilding process is covered in completely different documentation
known as the Follow-Up Service (FUS) procedure.

Does the above seem correct? Perhaps assistance in answering/discussing that question first, would be helpful.

The other aspect of the original post pertains to a customer seeking service on an item, (in this case, a submersible sewage water pump)
which in the UL Follow-Up Service procedure? is considered a Construction Not Covered in the basic FUS.

In digging through some of my older archives (June-1986) related to the UL program for rebuilding motors and generators for use in hazardous locations,
I did find answers to what a re-builder needed to do [at that time] to work on items not covered in the basic procedure.
I?m going to seek out that same material in the most recent FUS issue tomorrow.

I guess in the meantime, any contributions to this action-packed topic will be appreciated.

Thank you for the ?warm welcome? aboard.

John

mgookin

I agree we have confusion. We are a UL Listed plant and we manufacture product and put the label on it. Follow up service for us is the quarterly (unannounced) site visit by an inspector who pretty much affirms we are still producing the product that is listed in conformance with all the respective requirements.

When you get product listed that's one process. A separate process is getting the manufacturing facility listed.

The follow up visits make sure everything is in synch.

Maybe you got a term confused?

Status
Not open for further replies.