Fuse reducers

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

I've been told fuse adapters or reducers are only listed for temporary use, therefore you cannot install 20 amp fuses in a 60 amp service rated disconnect for solar installs. Any one have this issue?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Well who told you this? There are millions of 60 amp disconnects with smaller fuses...I don't have a Bussman Yellow SPD catalog but a call or online to bussman would clear this up.
Otherwiser bussman would only sell fuses in standard sizes 60, 100, 200

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Pick the right fuse for the application as long as it will physically fit
Bussmann have a huge range of fuses to select from. I had a 1,000 page catalogue.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Well who told you this? There are millions of 60 amp disconnects with smaller fuses...I don't have a Bussman Yellow SPD catalog but a call or online to bussman would clear this up.
Otherwiser bussman would only sell fuses in standard sizes 60, 100, 200
That's not what he is talking about. Most switches will accommodate fuses without reducers from the same as the switch rating down only to the next size up from the rating of the next size switch down , i.e., 70A - 100A fuses will fit a 100A switch but not 60A fuses.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've been told fuse adapters or reducers are only listed for temporary use, therefore you cannot install 20 amp fuses in a 60 amp service rated disconnect for solar installs. Any one have this issue?

That's a new one! As stated by others this is not true and is often the only option when fusing down a switch.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Whoever (wrongly) told you that, ask them to provide documentation. Or show them the reducer documentation. For example this Bussman catalog sheet says nothing about that whatsoever.

This is a common situation for small PV supply side connections where the AHJ wants a 60A disconnect for conductors connected directly to the service conductors. I've done a number of these without ever having heard anything like that.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Whoever (wrongly) told you that, ask them to provide documentation. Or show them the reducer documentation. For example this Bussman catalog sheet says nothing about that whatsoever.

This is a common situation for small PV supply side connections where the AHJ wants a 60A disconnect for conductors connected directly to the service conductors. I've done a number of these without ever having heard anything like that.
Whenever that happens we just 40A fuses and conductors.

GerryB

Thank you for the replies. I will ask the electrician who told me that. He works for a solar company and said an inspector failed them on that. Thanks for the link to cooper. All I saw was not CSA certified.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What they ^^ said. Okay for permanent use.

There is never a rule that you must down-size hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.