Fused disconnect used as a panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

68Malibu383

Came across this in a shed. Feed coming from house off main panel and this disconnect was fused. The shed had multiple receptacles, light fixtures and switches. Is it ever acceptable to use one of these for branch circuits?

iwire

Staff member
Came across this in a shed. Feed coming from house off main panel and this disconnect was fused. The shed had multiple receptacles, light fixtures and switches. Is it ever acceptable to use one of these for branch circuits?

I can't think of a single reason why not.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

As long as it was connected to a properly sized breaker for the wire size used in the panel in the house all is good

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
The breaker size at the house has to protect the feeder. The fuses in the disconnect have to protect the branch circuits

Agreed, I was more along the lines of saying it needed to be connected to a breaker and not just stabbed in front of the main as I have seen in some homes.
Some of the safer ones were pulling through the main fuses. not in front of them.

iwire

Staff member
I was more along the lines of saying it needed to be connected to a breaker and not just stabbed in front of the main as I have seen in some homes.

Now I understand, that can certainly be sketchy.

OTOH If done correctly that can be NEC compliant, you can run service conductors out from the main structure to an accessory building and have a second service there.

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
Now I understand, that can certainly be sketchy.

OTOH If done correctly that can be NEC compliant, you can run service conductors out from the main structure to an accessory building and have a second service there.

Ah! The old if done correctly clause! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.