G.E coil problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having repeated problems with G.E. 120volt coils in a size 7 bypass contactor.
The coil housing is fracturing with predictable results, coil failure. They do last for a while after they fracture. G.E is giving me the Alfred E. Neuman ''Who me?'' response while offering to sell me more
$1200 coils. The last coil only held up for two months which is about the lead time on the parts. Is anyone else having problems with these parts? By the way yes I did reinstall the o ring under the coil face. Any insight would be much appreciated, my customer is starting to get testy.
And remember the last two letters in garbage. G.E.

zog

That should not happen, which coil? 1st thing to check are if it is stying energized for some reason, that causes 90% of coil failures.

We manufacture replacement coils for breakers, and some starters, they are one of the most common replaceable parts on both, but they should least years, not months.

GE coil

GE coil

The coil is G.E. part #55-522003G009
It energizes off of a relay controlled by the soft start not off a PLC output so I doubt it stays energized in any way when not in use but I have not checked that.
Thanks for the input

mxslick

Hey Joel,

Maybe you should stop installing garbaGE... :cool:

Funny but not very helpful. :roll: Cut the new guy some slack. :grin:

I am having repeated problems with G.E. 120volt coils in a size 7 bypass contactor.
The coil housing is fracturing with predictable results, coil failure. They do last for a while after they fracture. G.E is giving me the Alfred E. Neuman ''Who me?'' response while offering to sell me more
$1200 coils. The last coil only held up for two months which is about the lead time on the parts. Is anyone else having problems with these parts? By the way yes I did reinstall the o ring under the coil face. Any insight would be much appreciated, my customer is starting to get testy.
And remember the last two letters in garbage. G.E.

Joel, welcome to the forums. As you have already seen we have some colorful characters here. :grin:

The first thing that comes to mind in your dilemma is simply this: Are you SURE that this particular contactor is the right one for the job?

Is it designed to have the coil constantly energized? (Good call zog.) That is something you need to check and verify. Make sure the PLC you mentioned is outputting the right commands.

(A cinema I repair had repeated contactor coil failures on one of their lamp rectifiers, found out they changed the contactor for one with a momentary-rated coil because "it was cheaper". Well the repeated expense of replacing it (4 times before they called me in) and the cost of all the lost shows and refunds would have bought them a brand-new rectifier AND lamphouse!!)

Let us know what you find.

iwire

Staff member
Who makes a contactor that is the coil is only rated momentary (other than a latching contactor) sounds like someone was pulling your leg.

gar

Occupation
EE
100813-1538 EST

By any chance is this an AC coil contactor rated at X volts for the coil, and someone is applying X volts DC to the coil?

mxslick

Who makes a contactor that is the coil is only rated momentary (other than a latching contactor) sounds like someone was pulling your leg.

Ever hear of a jogging contactor? :grin: Also the start contactors in wye/delta starters are sometimes momentary rated.

I have seen lots of momentary contactors over the years.

He's a buddy of mine...I introduced him to the forum :)

LOL what are friends for? :)

NorsemenJoel, what did you find out with this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.