Garage Door opener on shared circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In dwelling does the code require seperate circuits to garage door openers or can they be put on a shared circuit with lighting and receptacles?

Thank you!
Annette Butler
Carbondale, IL

I wonder how many times the garage door opener will be used per week?:)

With that said, what do the installation instructions say in regards to it possibly be required to have an individual branch circuit.

Also, pay attention to 210.23.

480sparky

FWIW, I usually put the operator recep(s) on a seperate circuit just for the convenience of the owner.

I tell them if they go on an extended trip, they can disable the opener just by turning a breaker off. Now they don't have to worry about their door opening, either by accident or by crooks.

Ok, so if I have a detached garage with two circuits feeding it.... Am I requried to have a sub-panel or disconnect in the garage?

mike107

Garage Door opener on shared circuit?

Just because something isn't required by code does not mean it's a bad idea. Customers and especially inspectors show more respect for an EC who does more than required. Good reputations are worth plenty.

I am sure it is the same in your neck of the woods, but bidding is very tight right now and I want to abide by the code but also be as competitive as possible. This is a multiple home project that means I would have to add 13+ sub-panels to my bid and I want to make absolutely certain that it is not just a convenience issue but a necessity. My competition will be approaching the bid the same way and I don't want to include it and lose the job when it is not a requirement. Does anyone know if it is a requirement per code to have a sub-panel or disconnect for a detached garage with (2) circuits?

Thank you!

macmikeman

Mine have nameplates of 3 amps each. Subject is overrated. I see people run 20 amp circuits dedicated for gd openers. Thats nice of them. Maybe a dedicated 20 amp circuit to all the individual receptacle outlets in the house would be nice too.....

GMc

I am sure it is the same in your neck of the woods, but bidding is very tight right now and I want to abide by the code but also be as competitive as possible. This is a multiple home project that means I would have to add 13+ sub-panels to my bid and I want to make absolutely certain that it is not just a convenience issue but a necessity. My competition will be approaching the bid the same way and I don't want to include it and lose the job when it is not a requirement. Does anyone know if it is a requirement per code to have a sub-panel or disconnect for a detached garage with (2) circuits?

Thank you!

You can feed the garage with a MWBC which is considered one circuit. You would still need a disconnect. Read Article 225.30, 31 32

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Does anyone know if it is a requirement per code to have a sub-panel or disconnect for a detached garage with (2) circuits?
Yes it is. Mike gave you the code sections in post #7. Since this is a separate building, you have to have a way to disconnect all power coming into it. The disconnecting means can be either inside or outside, but it has to be near the point of connection of the circuits.

I think the least expensive way to do this would be to run a single circuit, specifically a multi-wire branch circuit, from a two-pole breaker inside the house panel to the garage. Then you install a two-pole (i.e., double pole, double throw) non-fused disconnect in its own enclosure inside the garage, as the disconnecting means. I call for a non-fused disconnect and not a fused one, and also not a breaker, because you want the conductors to the garage to count as a single branch circuit, not as a feeder. This gets you through the requirement of having only one circuit feeding a separate building.

480sparky

FWIW, on jobs like this that are bid so tight, errors cannot be made.

I think these questions should be directed to the AHJ so you'll know exactly what they will and will not accept.

Despite all the firepower of experience here, we have no say in the matter. Your inspector, however, does.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Then you install a two-pole (i.e., double pole, double throw) non-fused disconnect in its own enclosure inside the garage, as the disconnecting means. I call for a non-fused disconnect and not a fused one, and also not a breaker, because you want the conductors to the garage to count as a single branch circuit, not as a feeder. This gets you through the requirement of having only one circuit feeding a separate building.

There is a technical issue doing it this way, IMO. art. 225.36 requires the disco to be service equipment rated with an exception to allow snap switches. This is why I use a DP switch since I have not found a DP disco that is service rated.

realolman

I looked, but I couldn't find what was suitable for use as a disconnecting means... I think it says something in the motor section about what is suitable as a disconnect for a motor, but I didn't know if that would be suitable for a disconnect in this situation or not.

Am I correct in thinking that it could be a plain ol' two pole snap switch, if it has an off indication, and is rated for the circuit in question?

Could someone point me to where it says what is suitable as a disconnecting means?

Edited: leave it to good ol' Dennis to answer my question before I even get it typed... thanks

Last edited:

stickboy1375

Customers and especially inspectors show more respect for an EC who does more than required. Good reputations are worth plenty.

I've never seen a customer happy that I spent more of his money than needed, also,that is just ludicrous if inspectors show more respect for doing more than what is required.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I've never seen a customer happy that I spent more of his money than needed, also,that is just ludicrous if inspectors show more respect for doing more than what is required.

But wouldn't you respect a man for doing more than what is required and still profiting from it?

Status
Not open for further replies.