Garage door openers

Status
Not open for further replies.

geochurchi

Occupation
Retired electrician
Hi All ,although it's good practice to put the openers on a separate circuit,what article requires it?
Thanks
Geo

kwired

Electron manager
Hi All ,although it's good practice to put the openers on a separate circuit,what article requires it?
Thanks
Geo
Was just talking about this article in the last thread I replied to, look at 210.23(A)(2). If they draw more then 50% of the branch circuit rating they can not have lighting or non fastened in place utilization equipment on the same circuit.

But reality is that they will not give much troubles either - they only run for maybe 20-30 seconds and then shut down, so unless the other load is pretty significant the overcurrent protection will usually ride through this short duration. Most I have seen are rated 10 amps or less anyway so they are still acceptable if on a 20 amp circuit.

mwm1752

There might be a reference but it would depend on the opener specs -- as a general rule I cannot find a code requiring a separate circuit.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Since the door opener receptacles must be GFCI protected are you putting that circuit on a GFCI breaker to comply with having a readily accessible GFCI?
Most times I run off of the same GFCI protected circuit that serves the rest of garage receptacles.

TobyD

Commonly do you install dedicated circuits if there are double/triple door operators?I typically and have for years pulled dedicated supplies to the door openers.But not a direct circuit for each door.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Commonly do you install dedicated circuits if there are double/triple door operators?I typically and have for years pulled dedicated supplies to the door openers.But not a direct circuit for each door.

Just how often would you expect the doors to operate at the same time?

kwired

Electron manager
Just how often would you expect the doors to operate at the same time?
More then you may think, but they still don't run long enough to be a problem.

Three car garage, you may not open all three simultaneously real often, but if all three are already open and you are going inside for the rest of the night that is when you may poke all three buttons about the same time to close them.

johnmeto

Banned
you may not open every one of the three at the same time genuine frequently, but rather if each of the three are as of now transparent are going inside for whatever remains of the night that is the point at which you may jab each of the three catches about the same time to close them.

JDB3

I generally put up to 2 garage door openers on their own circuit. Their own circuit, so that nothing else on the circuit would be likely to cause the GFCI to trip & therefore the opener not have power to them on " a cold, rainy, day", & the wife would need to open the door for you! Also I put the circuit on a "dead front GFCI" located in the garage (up higher than normal receptacle height) so the owner will spot it easier.

kwired

Electron manager
So what is average current draw on a GDO? I bet most only 5-8 amps , if the breaker makes is past the starting surge it likely holds long enough to make it through one open/close cycle with 4 or 5 openers all running together, especially for only a 7 or 8 foot tall door.

Not sure what typical trip curves are but would guess most 20 amp breakers will hold for at least 30 seconds with a 30 amp load.

Status
Not open for further replies.