Garage door plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rampage_Rick

brother said:
What makes you soo sure they wouldve wired the gfci correctly, I mean my God they used a bare ground wire as a hot (traveler). So the skin of that garage door had 120 v on it and no way to clear that fault!!.
Looks expensive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQiMr5Xm2sU

From what I've seen, in no way would a GFCI anywhere but the panel have saved Isaac.

I see one flaw with their explanation of how 3-way switches work. They only show one traveller wire, though you would need two. They have the black marked as hot, though if it is wired how it appears to function then it wouldn't be constant. Also, it's unclear as to whether the power for the lights originates at the 3-way in the house or backfeeds from the garage. (in which case all of the wires in the cable would have been hot)

From the video it would appear that there was a cable run from the octagon box in the basement to the outdoor recepticle to the garage (presumably this is the circuit the GDO was powered from) They show an unconnected ground in the octagon box.

They show the second "incorrect" cable running from the 3-way in the house to the 3-way in the garage. Presumably black and ground were travellers and white was neutral.

Now, while it's an abomination that I would never do myself, there is a way I see to have connected this in a safter way. If you have a hot/neutral/ground in the first cable, and you feed power into the switch inside the house, why not use the black+white in the second cable as travellers with the neutral return via the first cable (assuming that everything was either on one circuit or opposite phases)

My personal choice would have been conduit...

fisherelectric

After watching that video and seeing what those idiots did...they ain't no electricians...and by masquerading as electricians they caused that little boys death. Why wouldn't this be negligent homicide or manslaughter?

quogueelectric

your idea is by far the best

your idea is by far the best

peter d said:
Yeah, you're definitely over reacting. Just feed the GDO receptacle from the load side of the required garage GFCI receptacle. I've done it in the past, and there are no issues with it. I did this at my parent's house. I think it might have tripped once in the past 6 or 7 years.

Who says the GFCI has to be located at the GDO anyway?
just tail out from the garage receptacle on the load side

Status
Not open for further replies.