Garage GFCI Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Under the 2011 NEC, are dwelling GFCI receptacles permitted to be installed in a 9' garage ceiling for a garage door opener? IMO that does not meet the requirement for them to be readily accessible.

480sparky

Although no height is mentioned in 210.8, I'd say a 9-foot ceiling would not be readily accessible as defined in Art. 100.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
No, and I agree, in that order. Sounds like there is a need for a proposed revision for 2014. :happyyes:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Under the 2011 NEC, are dwelling GFCI receptacles permitted to be installed in a 9' garage ceiling for a garage door opener? IMO that does not meet the requirement for them to be readily accessible.
IMO, no it is not readily accessible in the ceiling as you need a ladder to reach it.

We install a dead front gfci on the wall in the garage and then feed the overhead door.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No, and I agree, in that order. Sounds like there is a need for a proposed revision for 2014. :happyyes:

I agree, it's pretty stupid as written but what would you propose? A maximum height? I can probably reach the test button on a device in an 8' ceiling. Short inspector maybe only good for 7'. ;)

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I would have never thought about this ( I don't do very many new homes or complete re-wires) but the last time this came up, I was able to install a GFCI on the garage wall that fed the receptacle for the garage door opener.

I'm not sure I understand why a garage door opener needs to be on a GFCI circuit. I've watched that Youtube video about the kid who got electrocuted by a puddle near the garage but I don't remember thinking that a GFCI would have saved him.

jumper

AFAIK, the receptacle only needs GFCI protection, so while the requirement of a GFCI receptacle being readily accessible would seem to to preclude installing one at 9'- it does not say that GFCI protection is not necessary for a garage receptacle at that height .

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Theres nothing that requires a residential garage door to be on a circuit by its self, so I do like others have stated, and just loop it off the wall receptacles.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
We just feed the garage doors off of a GFCI on the wall. So if by chance it does trip they can reset it easily :)

Theres nothing that requires a residential garage door to be on a circuit by its self, so I do like others have stated, and just loop it off the wall receptacles.

Again read the article I post above. If you have two garage doors that draw 6 amps each you cannot have it on with the recep. in the garage.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
How much current do GDO's usually draw?
Some 6 amps but the concept is ridiculous because the current draw on them is for less than 20 secs. I have tried to write a proposal for this but I can't figure it out. I am not sure what section to add it to. We have one area around here that will reject it based on 210.23

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I suspect you only need the nameplate but if you had to use 430.248 a 1/2hp is 9.8 amps-- in reality that is not close.

Status
Not open for further replies.