Garage GFI code

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.L. Swift

Occupation
Electrician
There is some controversy about garage ceiling receptacles for garage door openers having to be ground fault protected. Obviously the chances of coming in contact with a wet situation and a ceiling receptacle is slim to none it is now written into the code with no exceptions. So I was wondering if one could eliminated the cord and wire directly with a switch within sight of the motor opener . The opener is a permanently attached appliance after all. Comments ?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
That would certainly get you around the code requirement for all garage receptacles to be GFCI protected. However, you would probably void the warranty on the door opener.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
They changed it because of people plugging in extension cords to the opener receptacle and running the cords outside. The inspector could make the point you voided the UL listing by removing the cord.

Beaches EE

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Facilities Manager
There was a post here some time ago about a metal garage door becoming energized through the electric GDO that was not GFCI protected.

retirede

There was a post here some time ago about a metal garage door becoming energized through the electric GDO that was not GFCI protected.

That could only happens if the EGC was compromised.

I have a retractable trouble light hanging from the ceiling plugged into the GDO receptacle. This is IMO the reason for the requirement.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
... Obviously the chances of coming in contact with a wet situation and a ceiling receptacle is slim to none ...
Given the "slim to none" chance that the GFCI will trip, and the fact that nothing terrible will happen if a garage-door opener loses power*, why is this even a question? Why is there any hesitation to install ground-fault protection?

*unlike, say, a sump pump or refrigerator losing power.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The exception for the garage door opener receptacle was removed in 2011 or 2014 NEC, not sure why there is a controversy.
GFCIs 30 years ago were known for nuisance tripping. Anymore if a GFCI trips its doing its job.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The substantiation for the requirement that the garage door opener be GFCI protected included cases where the was an electrical failure of the door opener equipment that engerized the door rails and children in contact with the rail and the concrete floor or driveway were killed.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That could only happens if the EGC was compromised. ...
And because that does happen, the code is moving towards requiring more "hard wired" equipment to have GFCI protection. The outlet, not receptacle outlet, for a dwelling unit dish washer must be GFCI protected. The choice to use the term "outlet" was made to require dish washers to have GFCI protection both when cord and plug connected as well as when hardwired.
The 2020 code added a requirement for the outlet that supplies outside equipment, such as the air conditioner condenser, have GFCI protection.

John Keating

Occupation
Water Systems Technician ( Electrician )
A weird thing Larry mentioned above happened to me. My neighbor borrowed something from me. I was at work but when I returned he said there was an arc near the opener. The garage door company had driven a 3/8 lag for bracing through romex on the other side of 2X4. Lag was hot, angle brace was hot and all was fine till Steve completed the circuit. No injuries, no damage, just a little spark. And a liftmaster jackshaft is way better than the old operator.
But Murphy warned us, it will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.