Garage not grounded

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
It is if you strip off the insulation at both ends.
For under 4 AWG pretty certain it must be white or green (whichever applies, or bare or green for EGC's ony) the entire length of conductor.

There is provisions specifically allowing re-identification of a white as an ungrounded - if it is part of a multiwire cable - typical for NM, AC, MC, UF. Can't do that with conductors in a raceway wiring method though.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
For under 4 AWG pretty certain it must be white or green (whichever applies, or bare or green for EGC's ony) the entire length of conductor.

There is provisions specifically allowing re-identification of a white as an ungrounded - if it is part of a multiwire cable - typical for NM, AC, MC, UF. Can't do that with conductors in a raceway wiring method though.

Honestly if you strip the insulation off the entire visible area then I see no reason not to use it as an equipment grounding conductor. Once the insulation is stripped off at the exposed areas there is no way it can be mistaken for anything else.

kwired

Electron manager
Honestly if you strip the insulation off the entire visible area then I see no reason not to use it as an equipment grounding conductor. Once the insulation is stripped off at the exposed areas there is no way it can be mistaken for anything else.
I sort of have little issue with that myself. I doubt many knowledgeable inspectors will allow it though, way it is written should not be acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.