Garage receptacles and lighting on dwelling unit circuits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olc

Can garage receptacles (including overhead door receptacle) and lighting be connected to the dwelling unit general lighting circuits without including the garage area in the calculation of those circuits?

kwired

Electron manager
Can garage receptacles (including overhead door receptacle) and lighting be connected to the dwelling unit general lighting circuits without including the garage area in the calculation of those circuits?
I assume you are asking about determining general lighting load by the square foot, and I believe the answer is yes, but also beware 2014 NEC no longer allows other outlets outside of the garage to be on the same circuit as garage receptacles. But I think the garage receptacles are still included in the general lighting and you only have to count the square footage of living space and not include porches, garages, etc.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
.....but also beware 2014 NEC no longer allows other outlets outside of the garage to be on the same circuit as garage receptacles....

Did anyone read the substantiation on this? Curious why they made that change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
That's an interesting reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is not too surprising if you consider every three years they seem to add more rules that contradict what they have stated for years in 90.1 - "This Code is not intended as a design specification or an instruction manual for untrained persons."

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
It is not too surprising if you consider every three years they seem to add more rules that contradict what they have stated for years in 90.1 - "This Code is not intended as a design specification or an instruction manual for untrained persons."

Can't really sell many new code books or tickets to continuing ed classes without adding some changes to the new edition. Can't really extend the code cycle to five or six years for the same reason. Can't really sell a lot more wire, or bigger transfer switches and generators, or bubble covers for outdoor receptacles, or useless breakers if all you are acting on is safety issues. Can't really feel like you've done your part to make the world a better place, when you are sitting on a CMP, if you don't approve something.

Status
Not open for further replies.