Garage Shock

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

There has been a ground fault somewhere in the garage and since there is no EGC the metallic parts are now energized.

Where this is a detached garage, is there any other grounded metallic paths from this building to the main building such as a metal water pipe etc...?

If there are no other grounded paths between the 2 buildings then I would recommend bonding the neutral at the building disconnecting means in accordance with 250.32(B)(2) (2005 NEC) or 250.32(B) exception. Then, if it is possible, run an EGC from the detached garages disconnecting means to the rest of the garage wiring.

Chris

I don't think that is allowed on a garage fed by a branch circuit, feeders yes.?

if the garage had OCPDs and the OP was under 2005 and earlier, I would say yes.

The other part of this is the OP needs to test to make sure the branch circuit has the correct polarity.

hurk27

Whoops, I just read 250.32(B)(2) It doesn't say feeders, it just says "supply"

Never paid attention to this before, I have always thought bonding of the neutral in this allowance was only for feeders?:confused:

wirenut1980

There has been a ground fault somewhere in the garage and since there is no EGC the metallic parts are now energized.

Where this is a detached garage, is there any other grounded metallic paths from this building to the main building such as a metal water pipe etc...?

If there are no other grounded paths between the 2 buildings then I would recommend bonding the neutral at the building disconnecting means in accordance with 250.32(B)(2) (2005 NEC) or 250.32(B) exception. Then, if it is possible, run an EGC from the detached garages disconnecting means to the rest of the garage wiring.

Chris

Chris, I would expect to measure 119 V from hot to a grounded surface like the garage door track. So I think the garage door track is not energized at least. I would measure voltage from steel work table to remote earth to see how much voltage is actually there. I am also guessing the voltage goes away when the branch circuit breaker is tripped? I would check all openings and check connections in the garage to see if they problem might be there. Or you could just replace the branch circuit.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.