Garbage disposal problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

I was wiring an Insinkerator gd today. I couldn't get the wire out, if you are familiar with this brand there is a piece of cardboard in the wiring compartment that says do not remove. I removed it and was digging around inside. After I wired it I stuffed the cardboard back inside. When I started it it was pretty loud, then it quieted down but still didn't sound right. Later the HO said it wasn't working. When I went to check it was humming but not moving like it was jammed. I turned it with the wrench, it didn't feel tight at all, it ran, stopped, ran again, stopped. I am thinking bad out of the box, but could I have damaged it myself digging my finger in there? I thought maybe I felt the windings in there.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Unless you loosened something inside I would say bad out of the box. I have installed many insinkerators in past years and never had an issue but you never know.

iwire

Staff member
I have installed many insinkerators in past years and never had an issue

Its a Badger, high quality is expected. :p:D

badger5xp_large.jpg

GerryB

Insinkerator update

Insinkerator update

Well, don't rip out that piece of cardboard that says "do not remove", and if you do don't put it back. Above that cardboard is a moving gear. I guess the cardboard is so you don't tuck the wires in to far. I had put the cardboard back in and it got caught up in this gear. With a little contortion move I was able to see it and get it out of there. The HO was kind of amazed but very cool about it and the gd is working fine now minus the cardboard. So I guess I'll file this in the "learn something new every day category", although I'm sure some of you might have a different category to file it in.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.