Gas and electric in common trench?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosierSparky

Senior Plans Examiner, MEP
Occupation
Senior Plans Examiner
Is there a code requirement for separation distance between electric and gas lines in a common trench? Is it even allowed? I have looked in the Uniform Plumbing Code, International Fuel Gas Code and the NEC. It is not addressed. The plumbing codes require separation between water and sewer. That makes sense. City water tastes bad enough. Most underground gas is in Yellow plastic pipe with a tracer wire. If you used UF cable and ran it on top or right next to the gas line, it wouldn't seem right, but I haven't found a code section to back that up. Ideas??:?

greenspark1

Yup I'd check the local utility reqs. I haven't found it in any code book either but utilities typically want good separation from gas, both underground and at a pad mount transformer.

Is there a code requirement for separation distance between electric and gas lines in a common trench? Is it even allowed? I have looked in the Uniform Plumbing Code, International Fuel Gas Code and the NEC. It is not addressed. The plumbing codes require separation between water and sewer. That makes sense. City water tastes bad enough. Most underground gas is in Yellow plastic pipe with a tracer wire. If you used UF cable and ran it on top or right next to the gas line, it wouldn't seem right, but I haven't found a code section to back that up. Ideas??:?

jap

Occupation
Electrician

What's the issue?

JAP>

HoosierSparky

Senior Plans Examiner, MEP
Occupation
Senior Plans Examiner
Thanks for the comments. This was for a PRIVATE gas line and electrical. We know what we want to see, just wanted to find something, somewhere, preferably code based, to "hang our hat on". What we are running with is 18" wide trench with 12 inch vertical separation, gas line above and offset to opposite side from electrical. We aren't getting any push back on that. We just call it a "Life/Safety" issue. :angel::cool:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
...What we are running with is 18" wide trench with 12 inch vertical separation, gas line above and offset to opposite side from electrical. We aren't getting any push back on that. We just call it a "Life/Safety" issue. :angel::cool:

I've never understood this thinking. Now someone has to dig past the gas line to get to the electrical if there is a problem. Everything at the same level is safer IMO.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Fact is, there is no safe way of separating all of the utilites that are buried under the ground.
Boring machines push in miles and miles of underground that may or may not be very close to something they shouldn't be.

JAP>

mwm1752

The natural gas suppliers have clearances from electrical equipment from regulators & also will require separation between their mains service lines & underground electrical circuits. It is a utility provider requirement not NEC or ICC or UBC codes. Here 3' separation if parallel & 12" separation if perpendicular.

Carultch

Would you hesitate to run a romex in the same stud bay as a gas line?

It is a little bit of a different issue there, because a trench has a lot more environmental factors that could cause degredation of the pipes and conduit. A stud bay in wood framing is a lot more predictable of an environment, and less subject to the soil chemistry, ground movement, and critters. Plus, the indoor gas line is probably in more robust metal pipe/tubing, unlike a buried gas line that might be plastic tubing. So I can understand why the OP would hesitate.

FYI, here's an example of gas and electric in the same trench:
http://www.utilityproducts.com/cont...es/volume-16/issue-06/inno_joint-trench-1.jpg

http://www.utilityproducts.com/arti...und-gas-and-electric-separation-solution.html

iwire

Staff member
It is a little bit of a different issue there, because a trench has a lot more environmental factors that could cause degredation of the pipes and conduit. A stud bay in wood framing is a lot more predictable of an environment, and less subject to the soil chemistry, ground movement, and critters. Plus, the indoor gas line is probably in more robust metal pipe/tubing, unlike a buried gas line that might be plastic tubing. So I can understand why the OP would hesitate.

How do those environmental factors change based on the seperation of two utility systems?

What problem do you see in having them close?

kwired

Electron manager
I've never understood this thinking. Now someone has to dig past the gas line to get to the electrical if there is a problem. Everything at the same level is safer IMO.
That is how I have always seen it.

Common thing on livestock farms is water line and electric line to a water tank (electric heat in the tank for freeze protection) in same trench. Occasionally you get someone that thinks there needs to be separation between the two lines, and of course the water needs to be the deep line to keep it from freezing. I then ask them if they want to have to work past the electric line when there is a need to dig up the water line or if they would rather run into them both at basically the same time when doing such excavation someday down the road?

Status
Not open for further replies.